Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14535 Discussions

Xeon Phi Compatibility

GQuel
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I've partially answered this question myself already and will follow up with my results.

I've finally got my hands on a Xeon Phi 3120A but now I'm getting an error or POST regarding Unable to allocate PCI Resources. I'm now thinking I may need to rebuild this machine for compatibility. I'm building it for a university student who is blind but a maths genius.

The ARK specs for the card do not imply any special requirements (other than 16x PCI-E) and apart from seeing only Intel mainboards or servers for compatibility I can't find a minimum requirements or HCL.

I have found now through some digging that you need a mainboard with support for Above 4G Decoding. I wish Intel stated this on the ARK site or had a prerequisite link.

I have tried using a 40x lane 5960X processor but same POST error occurs. I don't have a E5 V3 to try with this system. Question really is will I have to replace the mainboard to an Asus Rampage V Extreme or the Asus X99-E WS or Replace CPU with a Xeon V3 + ECC Registered?

I have found a few forums with people asking the same questions but no answer which suits my setup.

Current Config:

Intel Core i7 5820K

Intel Xeon PHI 3120A

Gigabyte S2011-3 ATX GA-X99-GAMING-5 Motherboard

32GB DDR4 - 2400MHz

I'm actually about to bench test the Rampage V Extreme as I've seen in a few forums that it has the Enable above 4G decoding option in BIOS. I will post the results later.

Thanks for your help!

Glen.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GQuel
Beginner

Resolved !

Using the Asus Rampage V Extreme and enabling "Decode Above 4G" In the BIOS from the BOOT menu has resolved this issue. The board is nearly twice the price of the original and still uses the same X99 chipset yet it does the job.

System now completes POST and boots into windows. The Xeon Phi 3120 is detected and been successfully installed.

Still using the:

Intel Core i7 5820K

Intel Xeon Phi SC3120A

Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme (X99/2011-3)

Quadro K2200

32GB DDR4-2400

Corsair RM850

256GB Samsung 850 PRO

HDD Storage Array

Fractal Define R5 Case

Corsair H80i Water Cooling Unit

Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

I hope this message helps others out there looking to build a Xeon Phi into something other than a Brand name Workstation or Server

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for sharing this information.

0 Kudos
DMerr4
Beginner

Hi Glen, thanks for sharing your setup. Very helpful.

Have you tested this setup (e.g. run any applications on the Phi) as yet? I'm looking at building a similar workstation with a Phi 5110P, and it would be great to get some confirmation that there are no problems with an i7 instead of a Xeon CPU, for example.

0 Kudos