Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

i5-10400f single core issue

Ahorden
Beginner

I am quite unexperienced when coming to processors so trying to figure this out through many ways, I recently upgraded my cpu to a i5 10400f and have been using the stock cooler the package temperature is 75-80 but ive been seeing a lot of stutters and low fps in games due it only running in a singular core and for the life of my I cannot figure out why because I've ruled out the temperature being an issue and have not changed anything in the bios except fan speeds so I would like to steps to guide me through it to get more cores or I might need a new cpu cooler 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ahorden,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i5-10400F Processor.  

Bear in mind that the manufacturers (Dell, Asus, MSI, HP) will need some requirements to use a CPU like a specific BIOS version. Also, they can add or block some features from the BIOS, I recommend you to check with the manufacturer to confirm that the BIOS is updated and the settings are correct.

However, in order to better assist you, please try the following:  

1. Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

2. What is the brand and model name of the motherboard (if desktop) or laptop

3. Can you take some pictures of the task manager (general and the CPU tab)? Where are you seeing that only one core is working?

4. Which are the games affected? 

5. Just to confirm, is this issue only related to the low FPS and the shuttering?

6. Have you updated the drivers for the dedicated graphics card?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ahorden,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

How did you get to the conclusion that it is running on single core?

Is it only the game running single core or is it all the apps, games, and windows running on single core?

If you made sure that cores are not disabled in BIOS, check whether they're enabled or disabled in Windows... this video shows you how to check that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREZszJMJgc

the default is that the option Number of processors is unchecked and shows (grayed-out) number '1'. Because it is unchecked, that number shouldn't affect and all cores should be enabled to the operating system (regardless if it shows 1, 2, 4, and so on) and usually, there is no need to change this setting.

But, if you see this option checked and the number selected is minor then the number of your CPU's cores, then you can try:

1. Uncheck the option

or

2. Keep it enable but in the list select the max number of cores that your CPU has... Because your CPU supports Hyper-Threading, the max number you could select is "12 Cores"

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Ahorden,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos