Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14586 Discussions

i7 13700KF - Current/EDP Throttling

gustavo1101
Novice
Verifiquei que nos testes no Intel XTU, por diversas vezes que o "Current/EDP Throttling" é acionado. Os números que estão configurados por padrão (sem nenhuma alteração) são 253w em PL1 e Unlimited em PL2. No site da Intel consta que esse processador é 125w em PL1 e 253w em PL2, correto? Minha placa mãe é uma Gigabyte B760m Aorus Elite DDR5 e minha fonte é Corsair 750w. Se eu configurar o PL1 (125w) e PL2 (253w) manualmente no Intel XTU, conforme informações técnicas do meu processador no site da Intel, consigo resolver os "Current/EDP Throttling"? Obrigado.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello gustavo1101,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. If I were in your situation, I would be asking the same questions you are. 

Before I continue further, I would like to gather this:

1. Have you experienced any crashes or "blue screen of death"?

2. Have you overclocked this processor?

3. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?

4. What is the BIOS version installed?

5. Have you noticed any overheating when you get the Current/EDP Throttling warning?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
gustavo1101
Novice

Hi Deivid, thanks for you contact.

Answering your questions:

1. Você já teve algum travamento ou “tela azul da morte”?

No, not once.

2. Você fez overclock neste processador?

No, and I haven't even tried.

3. Qual é o sistema operacional instalado, bem como a versão e compilação?

Windows 11 PRO 23H2

4. Qual é a versão do BIOS instalada?

F15

5. Você notou algum superaquecimento quando recebeu o aviso de limitação de corrente/EDP?

No. In the stress tests, the maximum temperature reached was 86º. At no point was there thermal throttling.

Today, when I put PL1 125W and PL2 253W I had a clock reduction of 600mhz and the temperature went to 68º, but the throttling warning remained.

I also tried PL1 253W PL2 125W, but got "Power Limit Throttling" warning with "Current/EDP Throttling".

In every possible way, the warning stood. I then left PL1 253W and PL2 253W as I was not having any problems with temperature.

Can I assume then that this "Current/EDP Throttling" warning is something normal to lower the power when the processor reaches "Turbo Boost" for a longer time, in the case of a stress test?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello gustavo1101, 

Thanks for your response. There can be multiple reasons why the current/EDP throttling is set on the processor. Three common reasons are listed below:

• Processor Core IccMax is set too low in the Intel® XTU.
  • VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. Different motherboard OEMs may have different names for this control. Contact your motherboard vendor.
  • The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given processor. Pairing a low-power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current/EDP throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.

In this case, processors have two modes of thermal protection: throttling and automatic shutdown. When a core exceeds the set throttle temperature, it will start to reduce power to bring the temperature back below that point. The throttle temperature can vary by processor and BIOS settings.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
gustavo1101
Novice

Hi Deivid.

I am analyzing the possibilities you mentioned, and I would like to analyze one point, if you can help me with the information, I would appreciate it:

What is the standard ICCMAX value reported by Intel for the "i7 13700KF"?

Thanks for helping me.

Gustavo

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello gustavo1101, 

Thanks for your response. In this case, you can find information about the IccMax in the datasheet for this processor on page 202, bear in mind that you should get in contact with your system manufacturer (motherboard) for further assistance if you are trying to change the value of the IccMax.

1. Datasheet: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/743846/13th-generation-intel-core-processors-datasheet-volume-2-of-2.html

2. System manufacturer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Also, please consider that altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the manufacturers of the system and components for additional details.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello gustavo1101, 

Hopefully, you are doing great. I am following up because I would like to know if you were able to find the information needed from the datasheet. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
gustavo1101
Novice

Hi Deivid.

Check the information you gave me, and I also checked with the manufacturer of my motherboard. The conclusion I reached was that my motherboard really makes it impossible to change the values, as they are already correct within the specifications of the Core i7 13700KF.

Thank you very much for your attention to my questions.

Gustavo

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello gustavo1101, 

I am glad that the information provided was helpful to you and it is also good that the manufacturer of the motherboard provided you with additional information. I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you face any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos