Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15553 Discussions

i9-13900HX Voltage Spiking

erengfb1208
Novice

I have an hp gaming laptop with 13900HX in it and I experience voltage drops nearly to 0V I guess I've seen 0.01 V through hp gaming app. I've tried undervolting which U can see here but it didn't matter. My product site tells me everything is up to date.image_2024-07-08_075024224.png

0 Kudos
29 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

As mentioned by @CoolBook, laptops are designed to use as little power as possible while keeping performance at a good level.

If you want to see more or less real-time values, you may use XTU or HWInfo for CPU package voltage monitoring with a small pooling interval (like 500 ms). 

And for the troubleshooting steps, we would like to share with you the following:

1. If your laptop is getting hot most of the time, try to cool it down since that might be one of the reasons to auto-downclock the CPU to drop temperature, and by doing so, the CPU works at a lower voltage.

2. Set Intel default parameters; you may contact your OEM to confirm the best settings for your computer or laptop.

3. If you are capable of doing it, change the thermal paste. If the CPU is constantly working at such high temperatures, then the factory thermal material might get hard and useless, which will not transfer the heat properly.

By the way, please let us know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you will be performing, and if you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

As my colleague Carmona is currently away, I wanted to follow up to see if you had a chance to look over the information we posted. Your feedback at your earliest convenience would be greatly appreciated so we can move forward with resolving this matter.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice
Thank you very much for your effort. I set it to default settings tried to improve cooling by elevating the laptop for a bit but these didnt work so I sent it to service to replace thermal paste, check cooling block etc. waiting for it to return.
0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hello Erengfb1208,

Thank you for updating us. Please let me know the results once it returns from the service center.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice

Everything is literally the same, looking about 70-75 celcius when only the browser is working.

0 Kudos
erengfb1208
Novice
0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello erengfb1208,

Thank you for your response, and I apologize for the delayed response. I will discuss this case with our team for further investigation and will provide an update in this thread once it is available.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hello erengfb1208,

Temperatures below 70-75 degrees Celsius are considered normal for your processor. If you’re experiencing higher temperatures, other factors might be at play. I recommend contacting your laptop manufacturer for further assistance, as the CPU temperature itself is within the normal range. Please let me know if you have other inquiries that I can help you with. I am looking forward hearing from you.

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos
DhannielM_Intel

Hello erengfb1208,

Since I haven't received a response from you, I will be closing this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,

Dhanniel M.

0 Kudos