Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14651 Discussions

i9 13900KS can't find RAM solution and...

cemster
Novice

Hello, 
I am building my third Intel WS, and i9 13900KS is the queen of the castle...

First problem I am having is that despite the fact that you Intel created the technology for 192 GB Ram capacity yet only providing 128 GB... fine... Yet, unless I use two sets of 64 GB (2x32) kits,
I can't even make 128 GB!

Meantime, everybody is talking about how Z790 doesn't like 4 of the memory slots to be employed and suggests to use only 2 slots. 

That's not confusing enough,

I wanted to get ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme, yet in Intel's compatibility list, for that mobo,  only i9-13900K and i9-13900KF are included ,but not i9-13900KS... In case I insist on i9-13900KS, would that be a problem?

I would appreciate any help,

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You have motherboard problems and the memory it supports.  And, you need to speak to ASUS about your processor and it not being compatible with the ASUS bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Thank you Doc,

But :)...

It is Intel who doesn't include the Mobo in the compatibility list not Asus.

In "ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme" page the  i9 9300KS is validated since BIOS 0703.

I get the RAM slot issue is not related to Intel, however, 128GB instead of 198GB Ram capasity is still a bummer...

I do have another Ram related question, if I may...

For the Intel Core i9-13900KS, Intel's specs indicates up to 5600 MT/s for DDR5 

Yet I keep reading people using 6000 MT/s to 7000 MT/s (some with issues with XMP on)

I am not an overclocker, I rather have stability over all.

However, if I am allowed to use higher clocking RAM kits, I can significantly enhances the performance.

My rig is intended for both AI training and media work, and that is why such enhancement would be highly welcomed.

And while I am purchasing all parts in the US, I will be building it overseas. That's why I am trying to take precautionary measures to avoid delays and I appreciate any assistance.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So?  All that matters is the ASUS compatibility list.  If ASUS says the i9-9300KS is supported by their bios, then that is the answer.

It is not possible for Intel to test every processor on every motherboard with every release of the motherboard manufacturer's BIOS.

Provide a link to this list you are speaking about.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Oh, come on! Intel cannot keep track of every single motherboard that is generated all over the world (seemingly daily). From a compatibility standpoint, Intel simply cannot validate every motherboard either (there are simply too many). If the vendor is serious about having their motherboard(s) included on the list, they should send samples of the board to Intel.

At the end of the day, it is up to ASUS (in this case) to include the supported and validated compatible processors in their list.

It is also the responsibility of the motherboard's BIOS to provide support for memory. If they are not supporting the emerging 48GB DIMMs, then you are not going to be able to utilize 192GB of memory. Bottom line, this is another place where you need to be complaining to ASUS, not Intel.

BTW, the memory controllers are in the processor, not the chipset, so memory capacity has absolutely nothing to do with the chipset. Again, it is the motherboard's BIOS that is responsible.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Certainly. However, it is Intel who removed the "four-way" Ram config. for the CPU.  

Although I am not the most educated person around here yet, I do understand enough to reconize there is a mysterious attitude in Intel's part here and, it's called Biz!  

The LGA 1700  can hold up to 198GB Ram, so one might expect the mighty 13900KS to take advantage of this technology...

Okay, 128GB it is. However, this raises questions about how the strategy for a new product relates to other critical components. 

I understand that Intel can not test every board and whatnot, but when you stop supporting 4x RAM and you know that there are no 64GB single DDR5 RAM stick available, you are strategically playing with my head...

Unfortunately, we can't all afford a new Xeon processor, otherwise, we wouldn't have this conversation at all... 

So, now what? Wait for 2x64 Ram kits and then a proper BIOS to patch the hole that Intel created?

Ultimately, at this point, the processor's 128GB support is little more than a fictional claim, leaving budget-conscious consumers like me with horrible options.

Or, I am utterly wrong, and there is a solution for actualizing the full potential of the processor which, I don't know of yet...

0 Kudos
Jon-
Beginner

You have two choices for 128GB with a 13900KS (which I have)

DDR5 kit at much slower speeds than advertised on the kid -- e.g. 128GB @ 4400 mhz

DDR4 mobo with 128GB @ 3600 mhz or so.

If you want the higher speeds, you can only use 2 sticks of ram, 1 dimm per channel. 

It's just the state of the rocket lake memory controller and how noisey DDR5 is with those high frequencies.

Jon

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Thank you

What a bummer... 

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Hello, I was talikng to Corsair support and this is what they suggeted. 

PS. They, previously did say that 13900KS Unofficially supports 192GB RAM!!!

CORSAIR Support (Corsair)

May 1, 2023, 02:33 PDT

Hi,

The 13900KS paired with the ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme is a good combination.  If your goal is density with a good speed balance I would recommend a 64GB highly specd kit (2x32GB) such as CMK64GX5M2B6600C32.

If you absolutely need the density for the tasks then try one of the 192GB kits.  If you simply cannot build the solution yourself then a cloud solution would be best.

Then I asked:

"Yes, density is more important than speed. I need density to be able to train with a huge data set. I need to be able to load them into RAM. 
But I am perplexed by the second option you proposed, especially regarding the recommendation to consider using one of the 192GB kits. I suppose you mean, like, VENGEANCE® 192GB (4x48GB) DDR5 DRAM 5200MHz.
How? I mean, I would love to be able to do that. However, I remember you saying that the CPU unofficially supports 192 GB. That's a scary proposition. Would that really work? I can deal with lower speeds, but would it work at all? "

They replied:

As long as you are on the latest BIOS and have a good chip (those motherboards are usually good quality, high-count layer PCB), then you should not have an issue.  We simply cannot guarantee your system to handle it.

I would recommend you at least build the system once here in the States to make sure everything is working fine.  Otherwise, purchase a 96GB kit.

--------------------

They mean either 

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Sorry I was cutoff...

They mean to use either (4x48) or (2x48) of VENGEANCE® 192GB (4x48GB) DDR5 DRAM 5200MHz.

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Where did everybody go?

I had an rather important update no?

Corsair claims that i9-13900K/F/S "unofficially supports 192GB RAM!

Nothing?

Also here is a link regarding that claim:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-alder-lake-raptor-lake-cpus-gain-support-for-192gb-of-ddr5#:~:text=As%20a%20result%2C%20Intel%27s%20latest%2012th%20Gen%20and,on%20MSI%27s%20platforms%20based%20on%20Intel%27s%20latest%20chipsets.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What do you want us to say to a claim of unofficial support?

Yeah, sure, go ahead and purchase all the components, and give it a try.  If it does not work, well then, sorry, it is not supported.   If it does "appear to work" and you have problems, do not come back here complaining.

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Dear Doc,

I wanted to bring to your attention a claim made by Corsair Tech, which carries more weight than a regular Joe.

The claim is supported by a link titled "Intel's Alder Lake, Raptor Lake CPUs Get Support for 192GB of DDR5".

Have you had the chance to review the link?

I was hoping for a meaningful discussion instead of a mere dismissal.

Additionally, Asus has included these RAM kits for the Intel 13th gen K/KF CPUs:

"CORSAIR - CMK192GX5M4B5200C38 - 4x48GB" 

"CORSAIR - CMH192GX5M4B5200C38 - 4x48GB".

With this information, I was expecting a more constructive response instead of a put down.

Thank you for your consideration.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I really do not know what your point is.

The link on the i9-13900KS says 128GB:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/232167/intel-core-i913900ks-processor-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz.html

What is it you want?  In the link you provided it specifically says:

"even the recently launched Core i9-13900KS CPU) only support up to 128GB of memory. Perhaps that's because Intel itself has not validated 24GB and 48GB modules across different configurations. "

So, I ask again, what is it that you want?   You want to run your enterprise on "unofficial" claims of support from cosair, or MSI, or Tom's, go right ahead.   Spouting off about what someone else claims is unofficially supported serves no purpose.  Or, are you too afraid to take the chance and want someone to hold your hand? 

Sorry, but a discussion about unofficial support is worthless.   If you do not have the budget to build the system you need, then go back to your organization and press for a larger budget to get that XEON you want.  Or, re-evaluate your design - do you really believe you need 192GB memory, or is that just your fantasy goal to avoid doing a proper application design (by just throwing memory at the problem)?

So, again, one more time @cemster , what is it you really want to accomplish in this discussion?

0 Kudos
cemster
Novice

Dear doc,

I had hoped for a more respectful and less combative reply from you.

Regrettably, it appears that my wish was a mere illusion, much like Intel's assertion of a 128GB capacity for their CPU.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You still did not answer my question:  what is it you really want to accomplish in this discussion?

Anyway, I wish you luck with your WS build.

0 Kudos