Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14674 Discussions

intelppm.sys keeps crashing Win11 - should I get an AMD based PC instead?

Borge-san
Beginner

Hi, 

After upgrading to Win11 my computer blue-screens every other time I wake it from hibernation. I have tried all the tips and tricks except a full OS re-install. The time lost to intelppm.sys and its crashes already amounts to half the cost of a new PC, and unless there is a decent fix to this driver, a new PC seems like the favorable solution. 

In order to avoid intelppm.sys issues in the future, should I switch to AMD?

Sincerely,

Borge

(My last 10 computers were Intel based, the next one probably won't be)

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Borge-saThank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We are sorry to hear about this issue and we will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was this specific machine working fine before without showing the blue-screen issue that you are describing?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Could you please provide the blue screen error code you received?

Does the problem happen when using a specific application or performing a specific task, or does it happen all the time?

If possible, please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Borge-san
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

The computer is a 2.5 years old Lenovo E14. Please see the screenshot below for details on the processor and the crash dump. 

I can send you both the .dmp file and SSU report but I prefer to do that to an email address or PM, not a public forum. Could you please send me a message with a request for those files?

The crash comes when I wake the computer from hibernation. This was not a problem with the original Win10 installation, but with Win11 the problem comes more than half the times when I wake it. Oftentimes, it is able to wake just fine. There are no recent hardware changes. I usually have a lot of programs open when I hibernate the computer in one office and attempt to wake it in another. 

This is a very common problem. One of the "fixes" is to set 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm\Start

to 4 instead of the original 3. 

I experience the same problem with both settings. The difference is that with setting it to 4, Device manager says this about the CPU cores: "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

Thanks,

Børge

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Borge-san, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing that information.

In this case, first, in order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Sure, we completely understand that you want to maintain some information privately, which is why, I just sent you an email for you to reply to it with the SSU report so we can further assist you with this subject.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of the test.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Borge-san
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

I have mailed you the reports. Please let me know if they have not arrived. 

Thanks,

Børge

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Borge-san, Thank you very much for your response.

Yes, we received the reports. First, it is great to see that your processor passed the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test. It indicates that the unit is working fine and that we can rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor itself.

Based on the information shown in the SSU document, we can confirm that all the components, including Memory RAM, hard drive, and graphics controller are properly installed, detected, and working correctly. I can affirm also that the latest BIOS version, 156, is also currently installed on your machine:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e14-gen-2-type-20ta-20tb/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI&id=5AC6A815-321D-440E-8833-B07A93E0428C

It is important to mention that intelppm.sys error is associated with the Intel® Processor Power Management driver, which is responsible for managing the power consumption of the CPU. Based on that, in the following link you will find some suggestions in order to try to fix this problem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055076.html

Once you get the chance, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Borge-san
Beginner

Hi Albert,

I did follow the suggestions at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055076.html

Step 1, Windows update didn't seem to change anything. Step 2, Chipset INF Utility was downloaded but I couldn't see any new INF files or driver files being ready for install.

Step 3, driver update, leads to two choices. a) Search automatically which reports that "The best drivers for your device are already installed". b) Browse gives me a list of "Intel Processor" and "Processor" to choose from.

I chose "Intel Processor" and restarted the computer. No apparent change in Device Manager. Then I repeated the procedure with "Processor". Again, no apparent change in DM. 

Please let me know if I'm doing this the intended way, or if there are other ways to update the processor driver. The 2009-04-21 date stamp of Microsoft's processor driver (see screen shots) predates both my CPU and Win11.

Best regards,
Børge

before_driver_update.png

before_driver_update.png

after_installing_Intel_Processor_driver.png

after_installing_Intel_Processor_driver.png

after_installing_Intel_Processor_and_then_Processor_driver.png 

after_installing_Intel_Processor_and_then_Processor_driver.png

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Borge-san, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

In regards to your question, yes, you are following the procedure in the intended way. Since the problem remains after following the troubleshooting steps provided previously, I will do further research on this matter to try to find a possible solution for this scenario. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Borge-san
Beginner

Thanks Albert, 

My impression is that an ancient Intel driver supplied by Microsoft is incapable of controlling the Gen11 CPU. If there are newer drivers supplied by Intel, those don't seem to be available to Win11. 

This was not a problem when the same computer ran Win10. It happened after the Win11 upgrade.

The problems arise at wakeup after hibernation. I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that a high CPU load at the time of hibernation increases the probability of BSOD on wakeup. 

I take care to hibernate and wake up the PC with the same HW connected, both with cables and Bluetooth. What that means is I take it out of the docking station, hibernate it, transport it, wake it, plug it into other HW. 

Best regards, 

Børge

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Borge-san, You are very welcome, thank you very much for the additional details.

We will now do further research on this matter and provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Borge-san, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, based on the fact that the processor passed the diagnostics test and that the SSU document shows the system is up to date, from our side, what we suggest as the next step to do, will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo Support as soon as possible to report this situation. They did the integration of all the parts and this behavior could be related to a different component like HDD, memory RAM, or even the motherboard itself. They also provide the warranty for all the components, they might be able to reproduce the issue using the same exact machine you are working with, provide a fix for it, do a physical inspection of the computer if needed, provide further suggestions or technical assistance and ultimately to replace the laptop under their warranty policies. At this moment, to get in contact directly with them will be the best thing to do for this specific scenario:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en 

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Borge-san
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

I'm glad you have reviewed this. The issue is not in my computer. It is not with Lenovo. It is with Intel and/or Microsoft having implemented a poor driver for Intel processors. If you search online for "BSOD intelppm.sys" you will get a lot of frustration. 

I will not reach out to Lenovo support. Rather, I will check if intelppm.sys receives proper attention. If not, my next few computers will have AMD processors. Life is too short for bad device drivers.

Best regards, 

Børge

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Borge-san, Thank you very much for your response.

We completely understand and respect your position on this scenario. In this case, it is important to mention that regardless of the brand of the computer you are using, there is always a possibility that there might be errors encountered related to the system. That is the main reason why there is a warranty provided by the manufacturer of the laptop, in this case, Lenovo, for these types of circumstances.

For Intel® all the comments, feedback, and suggestions provided by all of our clients are always very important. For that reason, I will send your remarks and observations about this problem to the proper department for them to be aware of this situation in order to keep improving the customer’s experience while using Intel® products.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Borge-san
Beginner

Hi Albert, 

Lenovo or Microsoft are giving you a bad name at the time.

At least for me, "intelppm.sys = BSOD" has a negative impact that is not offset by "Intel Inside". 

I don't have time to deal with Lenovo support on this. Lenovo computers are not the only ones that BSOD over this driver. 

My short-term solution is to run all application in virtual machines that can be paused and revived. That way I can turn off my computer and restore its state rather than use hibernation which will BSOD half the time. 

My long-term solution is to see if AMD have this figured out a little better.

Thank you for your time. 

Best regards, 

Børge

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Borge-san, You are very welcome. Thank you very much for your response.

For this scenario, from our side, what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo Support for further assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos