Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18494 Discussions

ALTPLL Clock switchover in Cyclone 10 LP

raviganesh
Beginner

I am using the ALTPLL to generate a 80MHz clock from a 48MHz clock. This is fine. Later when an independent clean 80MHz clock is available

I am switching over to this clock by using the clock switchover function in ALTPLL. When I switchover I get a very high

frequency clock that my 100MHz scope is unable to display correctly. How does the ALTPLL adjust the PFD divisor when I do the switchover.

Why am not getting an 80MHz clock. Am I missing something.

altPll clock switchover.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @User15891149574421405910​  You will need to perform a dynamic reconfiguration if you want to keep the same 80Mhz when you are switching ref clock from 48Mhz --> 80Mhz.

Normally, the usage model is that....

For redundancy purposes, you have 2 ref clock of the same frequency + automatic switchover.

For clock sources originate from multiple cards on the backplane, requiring a system-controlled switchover between frequencies of operation (e.g. manual switchover + dynamic reconfiguration).

Hope this answers your questions.

raviganesh
Beginner

Hi Chin,

Thanks for the clarifications. As a feedback if this point is captured in the documentation as well as the ALTPLL IP Catalog software it would be great.

As a simple workaround to the dynamic configuration I am spoofing the 48MHz clock as 80MHz in the IP Catalog. i.e I mention inClk0 as 80MHz but give a 48MHz. This is a temporary arrangement until I get the clean 80MHz inclk1 in my application. It is working fine. But are there any design pitfalls in the PLL that would give random problems in field?

JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @User15891149574421405910​  I am not sure what random problems you are referring to...but i guess it depends on your application. As a rule of thumb, as long as the PLL is locked, the output is reliable.