Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20777 Discussions

Altera Nios II, .elf & .sof in one .rbf file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, I am looking for information on how to concatenate a .elf and a .sof file into a single .rbf file. Any information/suggestions would be most appreciated thanks. -H

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If all of your code resides in onchip memory, here's the flow you should use: 

1. Generate your hardware system in SOPC Builder. 

2. Build your software using either the IDE or Software Build Tools flow. 

- If using SBT flow, be sure to take the extra step of generating memory initialization files. 

3. Compile your design in Quartus II. 

- The SOF compilation process should populate your internal memories, properly, and all should "just work". 

Cheers, 

- Ura
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am currently using a generated script to load my firmware/FPGA:  

# Creating .flash file for the FPGA configuration "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/sof2flash" --epcs --input="../altera/quartus/ep3c10/project.sof" --output="project.flash" # Programming flash with the FPGA configuration "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer" --epcs --base=0x00000000 --sidp=0x00001838 --id=782884571 --timestamp=1242411783 --instance=0 "project.flash" # Creating .flash file for the project "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/elf2flash" --epcs --after="project.flash" --input="../altera/nios/app/firmware/firmware.elf" --output="firmware.flash" # Programming flash with the project "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer" --epcs --base=0x00000000 --sidp=0x00001838 --id=782884571 --timestamp=1242411783 --instance=0 "firmware.flash" i.e I believe it writes the .sof followed by the .elf. I am trying to prepare a single .rbf file from the two to be written to a CPLD. I think this is different to what you are describing? Thanks once again for all the help.  

--- Quote Start ---  

If all of your code resides in onchip memory, here's the flow you should use:  

1. Generate your hardware system in SOPC Builder. 

2. Build your software using either the IDE or Software Build Tools flow. 

- If using SBT flow, be sure to take the extra step of generating memory initialization files. 

3. Compile your design in Quartus II. 

- The SOF compilation process should populate your internal memories, properly, and all should "just work". 

Cheers, 

- Ura 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos