Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20873 Discussions

Arria 10 Gx FPGA Development Board

Nikitha_Sree
Beginner

Hi ,

I'm presently working on the development kit for the Arria 10 Gx FPGA Development Board. We can execute the BTS test files included with the kit using Quartus Prime PRO 24.1 software, but when we try to import the custom design, we have the following questions.

1. Is soft processor support available for Arria 10GX? If yes, do provide us the reference design.
2. Is there a way to open the ports so that we may access the UART for debugging purposes?
3. Would you kindly assist us with the step-by-step process for developing platform designs using JTAG UART and 1G Ethernet IP?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi Nikitha_Sree,

You can try the Nios V hello world example first:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design-example/788688/arria-10-fpga-hello-world-on-the-nios-v-g-processor-design-example.html

This is a simple application to showcase a simple application(print hello world) running in the soft processor(NiosV).

From this example, you can get to see the printf application showing the hello world logs through your Jtag connection.

Before getting the application to run, you will compile the design in quartus then flash the design into the FPGA fabric through the same Jtag connection.

For more details on Nios V tutorial related as reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/784468/current/an-985-processor-tutorial.html

As for the migration to your custom project for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/773196/current/overview.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Nikitha_Sree
Beginner

Hey Aikeu, 

Thanks for the inputs provided that helped a lot in starting the custom design. 

I couldn't use the Ready to test files (.sof files) on the evaluation board since the FPGA part number is different i.e Part number of the FPGA on evaluation board - 10AX115S2F45I1SG, I tried changing the FPGA part number directly in the Quartus and tried to compile but it didn't work like that.  

I have started designing the new code with the user guide provided,  But I found an issue wrt the user guide 

1. Select VID mode of operation in Configuration and Power Management Assignments - this is greyed out in my design can you suggest for this 

Please find the attached screen shots for reference. 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hi,
the .sof file is for Stratix 10, also power managment functions referenced in user guide are only available for Stratix 10 and can be ignored for Arria 10.
0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Nikitha_Sree,

You are not able to use the ready to test file from a Stratix10 project.

The Stratix10 project is just the reference for how the design is done especially on the connections in Platform design. The pin assignment is something to be considered for migration.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
MattArnold
Novice

Hi @Nikitha_Sree,

Just wanted to follow up on your question about the VID mode. FvM is right, that setting is for Stratix 10 and you can disregard it for Arria 10.

Looks like Aik Eu already covered the .sof files being for Stratix too. The good news is you can still use them as a reference for your design connections, just be mindful of pin assignments when migrating to your Arria 10 board.

0 Kudos
Nikitha_Sree
Beginner

Hi Aik Eu , 

thanks for the response. 

1. When simulating the design using the vsim command with Questa for Intel FPGA simulator, I'm encountering errors. 

[niosv-shell] C:\intelFPGA_pro\24.1> vsim
Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variable (SALT_LICENSE_SERVER, MGLS_LICENSE_FILE, LM_LICENSE_FILE)
is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.
Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.
** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

This license cannot be checked out because:
Invalid host.
The hostid of this system does not match the hostid specified in the license file. 

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Nikitha_Sree,

Can check if you got any license requirement setup problem with the below for your quartus installation:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/21-4/licensing-fpga-software.html

Check the NIC ID on your setup:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/21-4/identifying-host-s-nic-id.html

The license is tied with your machine.

Anyway to reconfirm, are you able to compile the design in quartus?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Nikitha_Sree
Beginner

Hi Aik Eu, 

Am able to compile the design in Quartus, and even able to check output - Hello world Prints on terminal 

I have followed the steps and installed the license files, even after that its still showing this error

Nikitha_Sree_0-1719915858916.png

Regards,

Nikitha 

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Nikitha_Sree,

Any follow up from the issue? If no I will be closing the thread.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Nikitha_Sree,

Seems like the your quartus license is ok which you are able to compile the project.

Can check in your License.dat file about the questa sim related status?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/21-4/syntax-of-license-dat-license-file.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Nikitha_Sree,

Any follow up from the issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Nikitha_Sree
Beginner

Hi Aik Eu, 

Regarding the license's syntax in .dat file , I have not discovered any problems according to the given link. 

I've attempted to launch Questa directly from the Start menu and replicate the Hello World in that:

Expected output in transcript as per the PDF 

Nikitha_Sree_0-1720686383868.png

output in transcript i got 

Nikitha_Sree_1-1720686443654.png

Please provide your feedback on this.

Regards,

Nikitha 

0 Kudos