Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Arria 10 flash security

Giz2020
Beginner

Hello,

We're using Arria 10 with EPCQ device, and looking for solutions to protect the EPCQ content.

The EPCQ is used for holding both the configuration bitstream and also other data.

Configuration bitstream can be encrypted using the Design secure feature. Is there an option to use the same key for encrypting the other data that we store on the EPCQ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Regarding to question 2, no we cant access to the AES modules.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi, yes you may encrypt the new design file with the same key. In fact, you can only program the design file encrypted with the same key.

0 Kudos
Giz2020
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't mean a new design file, but other data that we store on the flash.

During operation, nios read/write data from/to the flash. Is there an option to encrypt this data using the existing mechanism that deals with flash encryption (Design secure feature), or we need to use another encryption block to be in the middle between nios and flash?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Are you saying that you want to write the encrypted bitstream using NIOS into flash? If it so, need to use the existing mechanism.

0 Kudos
Giz2020
Beginner
No, I'm not talking about the bitstream.
I'll try to be more clear.
Our flash contains the following 2 logical sections:
1. Configuration bitstream (i.e. FPGA image / the bitstream that is loaded into flash at power on)
2. Our proprietary data (parameters that nios is using during operation, log events, etc.)

All clear regarding section 1:
We can use the Design secure feature - AES algorithm modules built in the FPGA.

Questions regarding section 2:
Is there an option to use the AES modules, that are already exist inside the FPGA, for encryption/decryption of arbitrary data?
Do we have access to the AES modules?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Regarding to question 2, no we cant access to the AES modules.

0 Kudos