I am designing a system with a requirement of dual core processor in it.
Initially I am carrying out the design building with ARRIA10 SOC development kit.
I had couple of queries here:
1. Although the datasheet of Arria10 Soc talks on Having dual hard-core processor, but I did not find any option while configuring HPS to enable the dual core Processor.
2. In the platform design can I instantiate 2 HPS to avail the Dual core functionality?
3. Datasheet mention about SMP and AMP modes. If I am not wrong, I believe the dual core here is with respect to memory management and not actual 2 hard cores.
Thanks in Advance,
You do not need to configure 2 HPS in the Platform Designer.
In most use case we will be running Embedded Linux on the SOC and the Linux operating system will manage the cores.
The cores are enabled in the Kernel Device Tree, by default all cores are enabled in the Golden Reference Design.
The SMP and AMP are referring to the cores. It is possible to run different application on each core.
However, we do not recommend you doing that as we do not provide support in that area.
Hi Jingyang, Teh
Thanks for the clarity on SMP and AMP modes.
Further, I had one more Query:
I am trying to migrate the project from Stratix II to Arria10 Device.
- in the current project with stratix II, SOPC builder has 2 NIOS cores instantiated for different functionalities.
- in that case, with Arria 10 SOC do I need to instantiate 2 HPS cores to meet the requirement?
Thanks in advance,
Very sorry for the slow response.
NiosII is a softcore processor.
You could add in NiosII processor in the Arria10 design just like the StratixII design.
Since there are no feedback for this thread, I shall set this thread to close pending. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.
If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.