Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19189 Discussions

Basic Audio Output on DE2 audio codec

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am a beginner to FPGAs and VHDL. I am really interested in learning more about the audio codec ( WM8731/WM8731L Wolfson ) on my DE2 board but I find that there is either a lack of information about this or, the examples that I find are too overwhelming for me. I want to start with sending audio, Can someone show me a super simple example of how audio is sent to the line-out port on Codec? Or guide me in the right direction? 

This is what I think I know so far; There are a couple of pins that I need to use, an DAC Left Right audio pin, output pin, and maybe a clock. I also think the correct respective pins would be: AUD_DACLRCK ( Pin C6 ), AUD_DACDAT ( Pin A4 ), and AUD_XCK ( Pin A5 ).  

Once I specify those pins I will use as ports, I need to create a 24 Bit string that I'll use as the "output signal". I'll assign this string to the left right audio pin. Then i dont know what id do after. does this sound like a good approach so far?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Noch50 

Welcome to the forum. 

Please read "Help using the audio codec on my DE2 board ", a previous post that might be of help. 

You will be able to find example code that could be of help. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.