Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20726 Discussions

CYCLONE V Starter Kit to AFE5809EVM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm new to Altera devices, so excuse my simple question. 

Can the Cyclone V Starter Kit connect to the AFE5809EVM via the HSMC connectors? 

To simplify, I wish to use the Cyclone V to read the LVDS serialised data from the AFE509EVM. Both PCB's have HSMC connectors so can they simply be connected with an appropriate HSMC cable? 

I only require ONE (1) channel from the AFE5809EVM, so its only two wires I am talking about here. 

Thank you, 

Brett Neale
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I'm afraid it doesn't look like it. The AFE5809EVM module has a narrower version of the Samtec connector as compared to Altera's HSMC. Also, the connectors are board-to-board (mezzanine) connectors and not intended to be connected via a cable. 

You'll have to find another way of connecting the ADC to the FPGA. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

No, I'm afraid it doesn't look like it. The AFE5809EVM module has a narrower version of the Samtec connector as compared to Altera's HSMC. Also, the connectors are board-to-board (mezzanine) connectors and not intended to be connected via a cable. 

Regards, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for the reply. 

I full understand that LVDS uses matched length pairs, and can be susceptible to skew based on differing trace lengths, and can also be affected by trace thichkness, trace capacitance and mutual inductance. 

This bring me to my next (possibly stupid) question. 

My project is this: Use 2 channels from AFE5809 to sample analogue quantity. Capture quantity and assemble into a packet data to send out via ethernet. 

Am I better off using a DSP for this purpose? There is no signal ananlysis required, so really just being able to read the ADC 14/12bit data, temporarily storing it, adding some framing data, adding a RTC time stamp, and spitting it out over ethernet. 

So I guess my question is: 

Would you use a FPGA or a DSP (or even a rasberry Pi) for this? 

My reason for the FPGA/DSP was reliability and flexibility. The main issue is reading the LVDS serialised data. 

Thank you in advance. 

Brett 

Adroit
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A Raspberry Pi just won't handle the 640Mbps the AFE5809 has to offer. You'd end up operating it at such a low sample rate you'd be better off choosing something else. 

If you don't need to process anything then an FPGA is certainly the way to go. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

A Raspberry Pi just won't handle the 640Mbps the AFE5809 has to offer. You'd end up operating it at such a low sample rate you'd be better off choosing something else. 

If you don't need to process anything then an FPGA is certainly the way to go. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks again, 

I already have the CycloneV GX dev kit. 

Would I be better with a cyclone IV? I am new to FPGA's so any suggestions are more than welcome. 

Bret
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Bret, 

No, don't buy anything else - you certainly won't do any 'better' with a Cyclone IV kit. The kit you have is arguably better suited anyway. The GX parts have dedicated transceivers capable of very high speed i/o (>6Gbps). These would be ideal interfaces to use to the ADC (operating at a much lower speed). 

Have a look through: transceiver architecture in cyclone v devices (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_53001.pdf). Cyclone V GX parts will do a lot of the hard work for you. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I'm new to Altera devices, so excuse my simple question. 

Can the Cyclone V Starter Kit connect to the AFE5809EVM via the HSMC connectors? 

To simplify, I wish to use the Cyclone V to read the LVDS serialised data from the AFE509EVM. Both PCB's have HSMC connectors so can they simply be connected with an appropriate HSMC cable? 

I only require ONE (1) channel from the AFE5809EVM, so its only two wires I am talking about here. 

Thank you, 

Brett Neale 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm also new to Altera devices and i am also working on a project to interface AFE5809EVM with cyclone V GX starter kit. So did it worked with HSMC-ADC-Bridge? If so i"ll be obliged if you let me know. 

Thank You !! 

Regards 

Nimish
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Regards, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Sir do you know the method of Interfacing AFE5809EVM with FPGA through HSMC-ADC-Bridge ? If yes i"ll be obliged if you let me know. 

Thank You !! 

Regards  

Nimish
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Regards, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

Do you have the VHDL code for interfacing of AF5809EVM with cyclong V GX Starter kit or even AFE5809EVM with FPGA. It"ll be of great reference to me. Do let me know. 

Best Regards, 

Nimish
0 Kudos
mreca
Beginner

Hi nimish,

I have the quartus project to deserialize the output of the AFE5809evm, this project is provided by texas instruments.

I opened another forum ( https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Hg59cSAB/afe5809evm-correct-use-of-evaluation-modules-and-the-cyclone-v-gx-starter-kit ),

It will be great if you can provide me any help, or any knowledge about this 2 devices, AFE5809evm and Cyclone V GX

Regards

Mateo Recalde

macurecalde90@gmail.com

Catholic University

Asuncion - Paraguay

0 Kudos