Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20686 Discussions

Can I create a unique serial number during production programming?

Newtham
Beginner

I am planning to use a Max V in a new design. Each completed unit must have a unique serial number that can be queried by an external module. I would like to have the Max V in each unit receive a unique serial number when it is programmed. Then the Max V can reply with this serial number when queried.

Is there a way to do this, for instance through the Quartus software, when programmed? I know there are "unique ID" ICs, but assigning one to the Max V during programming would obviously be easier.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robert,

We have CHIP ID IP which is able to provide unique number for each devices. You may add this IP into the quartus design.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/altchipid.pdf

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
Newtham
Beginner

Hi YL,

Thank you! But the link you sent does not seem to apply to Max V. Is there anything similar for Max V?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robert,

Sorry for being late as i have just feedback from the team. Apologize that there is not applicable for MAX V. Just would like to understand what is the application for this? Perhaps we can discuss and see if there is other alternative or not.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
Newtham
Beginner

Hi YL,

Thanks for the reply!

The application is pretty much exactly as described in my first post above.

Each unit that the Max V goes into will need a unique serial number, and that serial number will need to be available to the user electronically (by being queried over serial). I'd like to have the serial number assigned to the CPLD somehow during our manufacturing process, if possible. I think this would be the function of the CHIP ID IP, if it worked for Max V. So I would like something like that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robert,

I am sorry that the IP is not available for MAX V. User will need to implement them self.

Also, may i know what is the reason to queue MAX V during user mode? Are you intended to control multiple CPLD in your system?

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
Newtham
Beginner

Hi YL,

Is there a way for me to implement that IP on my own? I thought a function like that had to be included in the Quartus programming software. If there is a way for me to implement it, that would be great! Please let me know!

We are building a sub-module. Our client will make the controlling system. Their system will query our subsystem for a serial number, which I will need the CPLD to transmit to them.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late, as i have been checking with internal team. I am sorry that the IP is not supported by MAX V due to some limitation.

However, you may have look into this System Peripheral IP Core. It will generate unique ID as well.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf (Page 506)

Hope it helps.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
Newtham
Beginner

Thanks, YL!

I don't think that will do it, but I appreciate all your help!

Robert

0 Kudos