Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

Checking configuration bitstream integrity (Cyclone IV)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe the configuration bitstream contains checksums or similar which the target FPGA checks for errors or corruption. Are the details of this integrity checking published? I'd like to have a host processor test the bitstream image before trying to use it to configure my FPGA. I could wrap my own CRC around the image, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

BTTT 

No one?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are the details of this integrity checking published? 

--- Quote End ---  

Nope. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I'd like to have a host processor test the bitstream image before trying to use it to configure my FPGA. I could wrap my own CRC around the image, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. 

--- Quote End ---  

I used U-Boot's mkimage to add a header and checksum. U-Boot can then test the integrity after flashing the image. Eg., see p29 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/carma_board/fpga_configuration.pdf 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not published, bother (or words to that effect)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Not published, bother (or words to that effect) 

--- Quote End ---  

Not officially anyway ... I did come across this page ... 

http://www.pldtool.com/pld-file-formats 

But have not checked that the description of the .pof format is similar to the .sof format. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Greetings! 

I have a similar problem, I use a host processor configuring a Cyclone II using PS configuration Scheme, and I don't use the INIT_DONE pin. 

I want to use the host processor to calculate FPGA's SRAM checksum after configuration and compare with the .RBF checksum sent by PC. 

So, there is my question, it's possible read Configuration SRAM data?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

it's possible read Configuration SRAM data? 

--- Quote End ---  

Nope. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave! Thanks for the quick reply! 

Well, I will find a way to validate the configuration. 

Maybe doing the FPGA return a clock signal when in user mode.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well, I will find a way to validate the configuration. 

Maybe doing the FPGA return a clock signal when in user mode. 

--- Quote End ---  

You validate configuration using the nSTATUS and CONF_DONE signals. The INIT_DONE signal simply indicates that the device is in USER mode. You don't need this signal if you do not want it. 

Did you look at the timing diagrams in the document I linked to above?  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Dave! 

Yes, I saw the diagram! And now I get it! 

If CONF_DONE rises there is no doubt that a valid configuration was sent. I think I messed a little! 

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, I saw the diagram! And now I get it! 

If CONF_DONE rises there is no doubt that a valid configuration was sent. I think I messed a little! 

--- Quote End ---  

Once CONF_DONE goes high, you may have to send some DCLK cycles to enter USER mode. The data sheet tells you how many. Sometimes the programming file ends with enough FFh values to implement the required clocks. This would only cause an issue while debugging your first board. Once you have that figured out, the fact that CONF_DONE asserts, and nSTATUS does not, is enough to let you know that the configuration was ok. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So the only suggestion I have so far is to get the FPGA to check the configuration image.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So the only suggestion I have so far is to get the FPGA to check the configuration image. 

--- Quote End ---  

No, I gave you another suggestion at the beginning. You said "I'd like to have a host processor test the bitstream image", and I suggested wrapping the .sof file using a tool that your host processor can use to check the file integrity, eg., mkimage or you could use an md5 sum, etc. There's lots of cases where you want to see if your binary blob arrived safely at its destination, look at what you have available at your host processor, eg., if its only U-Boot, then mkimage is a good solution, if its Linux, then use an md5 sum or similar. 

The fact that the FPGA also checks the integrity of the image is just a "bonus" :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos