Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

Circular buffer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, i have built up a system with audio in and out using the DE2 board, my initial volume control works so now i wish to have some audio effects - echo delays, filters, reverbs etc. 

I understand the concepts of the circular buffer but i'm just stuck on where to start regarding reading and writing to the onboard RAM and also which RAM should i use, SRAM or DRAM?  

I have NIOS CPU using the SRAM and have instantiated the DRAM in SPOC builder but thats as far as i've got.  

I have had a search on the forums but haven't found what i want.  

Any tutorials, examples, recommended reading or suggestions would be much appreciated
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The RAM type doesn't matter since You'll be using Avalon-MM. Check Avalon-MM interface specifications. It's quite easy: You set up write or read signal in addition to address, wait until waitrequest is down and proceed with data read/write.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks that definitely gives me a clue where to start but would i need to create a tcl component in SOPC to set up the read/write and address?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, go through the component creation wizard and TCL file will be generated automatically. Check Avalon-MM templates.

0 Kudos