Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20880 Discussions

Configuration on Cyclone III

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to use the remote system upgrade feature on Cyclone III. I am struggling to figure out how much time it will take to configure the device. The handbook says only certain config modes support RSU, the bitstream values look like rounded numbers, and it's all calculated against an unqualified 20 MHz clock. Plus, subtract compression. 

does anyone have any ideas how I can get a good estimate of the configuration time of a EP3C25 using a compressed bitstream and Remote system upgrade together? I am using an EPCS16. does quartus tell you or something? 

GG
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You're right about the configuration data size listed in the handbook--there's a note that specifies that the sizes are preliminary. If you're just looking for an estimate, though, I've got to think that the listed values are plus-or-minus ten percent. Hopefully we'll get exact numbers soon. 

Remote Update supports both AS and AP configuration. Decompression is supported in AS and PS. So if you want to do both, it looks like you're forced into AS. 

Decompression does complicate the calculation, since the amount of compression done is not deterministic. You might assume the configuration file will be compressed by 50%. 

So . . . take the estimated file size for your Cyclone III part, divide it by 2, and that's the number of clock cycles you'll need.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Salt Lake. I'm going to buy a dev kit and just try it.

0 Kudos