Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Connecting UP3 (byteblaster II) to computer via USB to parallel cable

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, I just bought a UP3 and I wanted to connect it to my laptop. My laptop doesn’t have a parallel port, so I bought an usb to parallel cable, but when I’m trying to connect it to the software Quartus II, it doesn’t show up as a new hardware, it just shows up the Ethernet Blaster. 

How can I connect it please, I need some help. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ricardo, 

Typically, USB to Parllel port adapters do NOT work for FPGA download cables. 

I am looking at the schematic for the UP3 on the WEB right now. 

The parallel port is NOT for programming the device. 

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~hamblen/up3/up3_1c6_rev2_schematic.pdf Page 19 

In otder to program the device you should have an Altera programming cable (USB Blaster) that will connect to your laptop USB port. 

JP12 is used when you wish to directly download your design right into the FPGA (using the .sof file). 

JP11 is used when you are happy with your design, and have told the tools to convert the .sof file to a .pof file via a check box selection) and wish to have it perminently stored on the board in the EPCS1 PROM. 

You use the same cable, but this time, the .pof file is used to program the EPCS1 PROM with your code, and the EPCS1 will then load the design file into the FPGA every time the board is powered up. 

I hope this helps your effort. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the Byteblaster has been delivered with the UP3 Dev Kit. But as said, it doesn't work with USB-to-LPT adapters, that don't provide the legacy LPT port registers required by the ByteBlaster driver. For a notebook, the least cost solutions are a Terasic USBBlaster or a PC-Card(PCMCIA) true LPT-adapter.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Is there any cheaper option? The above two mentioned cables costs >$50 :eek:
0 Kudos