Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20794 Discussions

Constraining a high speed design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to constrain ASI soft receiver on Cyclone III EP3C40F324. There are two instantiations of the ASI megacore, but I rarely get both of them to work correctly, most of the times, I get lost packets. 

I am fallowing ASI user guide appendix A, available here: http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_asi.pdf 

According to page A-5, I set my design constrains: 

# Oscillator inputs: 27MHz create_clock -name clk_in -period 37.037 create_clock -name clk_in2 -period 37.037 # PLL commands derive_pll_clocks derive_clock_uncertainty # ASI# Set false path for input pins, since these signals already carry a clock (HM, NOT SURE?)# set_false_path -from }]# set_false_path -from }] set_min_delay 0.00 -from {PLL1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk} -to {PLL1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk} set_max_delay 4.43 -from {PLL1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk} -to {PLL1|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll1|clk}  

I am not sure if setting ASI serial inputs as false paths is correct? 

PLL1 generates required oversampling and clocks: 

c0 - 337.5MHz 0deg 

c1 - 337.5MHz 90deg 

c2 - 135MHz 

According to page A-3, I set specific register locations to required LABs: 

set_location_assignment LAB_X32_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI2|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_a" set_location_assignment LAB_X33_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI2|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_b" set_location_assignment LAB_X32_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI2|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_c" set_location_assignment LAB_X33_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI2|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_d" set_location_assignment LAB_X22_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI1|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_a" set_location_assignment LAB_X23_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI1|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_b" set_location_assignment LAB_X22_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI1|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_c" set_location_assignment LAB_X23_Y2_N0 -to "asirx:ASI1|asi_megacore_top:asi_megacore_top_inst|asi_receive:asi_rx_gen.u_rx|serdes_s2p:u_s2p|sample_d"  

Result in floorplan: http://i.imgur.com/pc2ik.png 

I don't see any timing problems in TimeQuest regarding ASI, but I am not sure if I've constrained it correctly. If I don't set asi_rx 

[*] pins as false path, then I am not sure how do I constrain these inputs. I do have other problems with timing (related to system and another clock), but maybe later about that. 

Thank You.
0 Kudos
0 Replies