Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Cyclone V, DE1-SOC GPIO Header Pinout Diagram

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been searching around the net for a while now simply trying to find the pinout diagram for the GPIO headers on the DE1-SOC board. The User's Manual for this device simply gives information regarding the 36 GPIO pins that are available, as well as their associated assignment name, but does nothing else to inform how the physical pins are mapped! (i.e. is the top right pin the "0th" pin, or another? Which pins are ground and which are Vcc?).  

I have found this information for the older DE1 board, but not for my particular model ( REV B ).  

Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I looked around and couldn't find it either. Did you contact terasic support (mailto:support@terasic.com)? 

Sue
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The GPIO headers are shown on the board Schematic. It is in the CD image you can download from the product page on the Terasic site. The designations don't exactly match the user manual, or the pin numbers on the schematic, but it seems easy enough to figure out.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I find it hilarious that that the documentation for these dev kits still doesn't specify the pin mapping to physical pin numbers on the header. 

The DE1-SoC manual has a nice table which says "pin assignment of the two GPIO headers" which gives you FPGA pin numbers and maps them onto the completely arbitrary names that are used in the top level file.  

The add-on boards like the LT24 have a nice table which it calls "pin assignments for the 2x20 GPIO pins in Quartus II", that maps the function of the board to physical pin numbers on the 2x40 header, which in itself tells you nothing about the "pins in Quartus II". 

To actually find out what connects where you have no choice but to resort to reading it off the schematic - which in itself is a pain given that the provided schematic has a nice watermark across it that is so opaque you can barely read anything, yes Terasic, I know you designed the schematic, I don't need you shoving it in my face while I'm trying to work out what you've done. So what is the point in the two tables when they don't actually tell you an actual physical relationship. 

Altera and Terasic seriously need to get themselves in order given how much of a joke the documentation and IP is. 

--- 

In fact for anyone who finds this through Google and doesn't want to go through the schematic, I've annotated the GPIO pages from the user manual of the DE1-SoC (attached to post) with mapping - I'll do Altera's job for them so you don't have to.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your comment, TCWORLD. I've opened a bug against the document's author to make them aware of your suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to write them down for us. 

Regards, 

Sue Cozart
0 Kudos
SShep
Beginner

Hi all, this might be helpful. I've spent many hours trying to decipher and decode the GPIO pins. fun stuff!

http://terasic.yubacollegecompsci.com/GPIO.html

0 Kudos