Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20766 Discussions

DDR Reflection Phenomenon

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everybody, 

These days I have been asking some questions in relationship with some problems in a new pcb design and the communication between the Cyclone III and the DDR. Finally I think I have isolated the problem. I have made a test, sending pulses of 20 ns, periodically. In the first case 1 pulse every 1 usec. The second case 2 pulses every 1 usec, 3 pulses and so on. Here are the pictures. I deduced from the picture that exist reflections in the line.  

This effect is observed in lines with SSTL2 class I standard. I'm goint to change the impedance of the active parallel termination for a higher one (instead of 56 ohm, 75 ohm) Any other idea in order to fix this problem? 

Any help would be grateful, 

Many thanks. 

ifdm
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do You use series termination?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The signal doesn't look extremely bad. You should clarify trace length and exact termination scheme, signal type+direction (I guess DQ+write), used probe and probing location. Without an active or high frequency resistive probe, the waveforms won't mean much, I think. Clear quare waveforms rather than "pulses" and ns time resolution would be suggested, too. 

You can refer to the respective DDR RAM termination application notes from Altera about a reasonable waveform display.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Post schematics and PCB tracing if possible, so it would be easier to find the problem... Are all DQ to DQS lengths within' DDR routing specs?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I use series resistors of (25 ohm) and a pull up to (vccio/2) resistor of 56 ohm. These lines belongs to the addresses signals from the FPGA to the ddr-sdram. I attach the schematic and the pcb. The PCB characteristics are: 16 mil layer thick, fr4, cupper 1.4mil, 8mil track thick, 2850 x 2820 mil . 

I use a high impedance oscilloscope probe with an input impedance of 1 Mohm shunted by 20 pF .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have analyzed the signals again and probably the reflection isn't the cause of the problem. In the images, what is seen are some signals that arrive a little bit late or a bit sooner, and that's because appear 4 pulses when it is expected 3 pulses. Maybe there is another kind of problem. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos