Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

DDR3 Mem Controller w/ Uniphy Question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For the DDR3 Memory Controller w/ Uniphy IP (Cyclone V / Arria V family), there are some configuration options in Uniphy IP's GUI in Qsys. 

What are these features under Mode Register 2 and what option should I select for each feature? 

1. Auto selfrefresh method: Manual or Automatic? 

2. Selfrefresh temperature: Normal or Extended? 

Please provide some guidelines. The AlteraEMIF guide isn't very clear.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) This depends whether you want to manually refresh the memory or allow it to happen automatically. This depends on your requirements. If you don't know I suggest you go for automatic. 

2) Are you using an extended (industrial) temperature range FPGA? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Alex, 

1) I don't want to manually control refresh rate. So I'll set to automatic as you suggested. Does this perform auto refresh or self-refresh? I recall there are two types of refresh when comes to DDR3, one being low-power mode. 

2) Yes I'm using I-temp FPGA. I think we'll need double refresh rate due to high oper. temp. Should I set it to "Extended"? Also do I need to reduce the tREFI value by half as well? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1) Refer to the "Controller Settings" section - page 3-9 - of the "ddr2 and ddr3 sdram controller with uniphy user guide (https://www.altera.com/ja_jp/pdfs/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_ddr3up_ug.pdf)" chapter of the Handbook. This explains use of both self-refresh and auto-refresh - UniPhy supports both - and discusses, briefly, the use of self-refresh in the context of a low-power mode and auto-refresh for efficiency. 

2) Yes. I-temp FPGA, select "Extended". 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos