Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20754 Discussions

Difference between jam algorithm v33 and v59

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In my company, we succeded to port Jam STAPL Player to DSP2812 to implement PLD upgrade years ago when using quartus 2.2. 

We did in these way: 

First, we created JEDEC STAPL Format(.jam) file by .pof files using quartus 2.2; 

Second, we converted .jam file to .jbc file using jbc.exe v2.2 provide by Altera. 

Now we upgrade to Quartus V11, and do it in the same ways with new quartus, but it failed to flash our PLD. The exit code is "6" which means unrecognized device.  

We compare two .pof file, they are the same. 

Then we compare the .jam files, they have big difference. And I noticed that the jam algorithm versions are different. 

Quartus 2.2: 

NOTE "JAM_VERSION" "2.0"; 

NOTE "ALG_VERSION" "33"; 

Quartus 11 

NOTE "JAM_VERSION" "2.0"; 

NOTE "ALG_VERSION" "59"; 

Then I use quartus 2.2 to create .jam files with .pof files complied by quartus 11, then it can be upgraded successfully. 

So i think this issue is caused by ALG_VERSION. Can anybody tell me what is the difference between them?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone know what tool it will be called when create jam file by quartus? Then I can replace quartus v11 jam generator with quartus v2.2 jam generator

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some more details about my situation. Now we use jam byte-code player 2.2, we convert .jam file to .jbc wiht jbc.exe tool, but it seems that the jbc player can only handle the .jbc file which is generated by "ALG_VERSION" "33" .jam file.

0 Kudos