Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Does Intel FPGAs (not SoCs) support eMMCs?

IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi all.

The goal is to store data into NAND or eMMC flash device. During some search, I didn't find any FPGA dev. kits with eMMC or NAND more than 2 Gb. Also, in that doc - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/supported-flash-devices-for-cyclone-v-and-arria-v-soc.html

there only SoCs mentioned, but not pure FPGA. Why it is so?

If somebody uses in projects eMMC or NAND flashes with capacity more than 4Gb, please share your experience.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
10 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

With the SoC in the board, the following flash devices mentioned in the document can be used both as a boot source and for mass data storage.

This techniques is to boot the board from an external flash device and also use it as data storage;

Just like normal computers using SSD(Solid State Drive) or HDD(Hard Disk Drive) to boot the OS of your computer, at the same time the SSD or HDD that have the OS installed in, can be use to store your data as well.

Hopes this help.

IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi el.ign,

Thank you very much for your answer!

What you wrote is not what I'm expected for, my question was why only SoCs for eMMC, not "pure" FPGA (I mean FPGA without ARM).

We can create NIOS or other soft processor instead of ARM. So why there is no information about it? Is it because of speed, or ARM-ready libraries, or what?

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi Ivan,

As mentioned the document is made to let users know that some flash devices can be used as both booting and data storage for SoC devices.

Because SoC needs to be boot up initially to utilize the HPS features in the SoC, this is why there are documents on the flash devices that are known-to-work for the SoC devices to be used as both booting source and data storage. Since the eMMC are already available for SoC devices, users can choose where they want to boot their SoC devices depend on the user's desired designs, e.g: SD card, QSPI, etc.

Well eMMC is an embedded type of memory that is not user-removable because it is reflow soldered directly to the PCB. So, if your board have eMMC and you want to use it as data storage sure you can.

IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi el.ign,

I know that, my question is why there is no (or very very little) information about eMMC usage in pure FPGA boards.

For now I only found one board (ReFLEX AVDB) with 32 Gbit NAND flash https://www.reflexces.com/intel-fpga/stratix-v-cyclone-v/clovis-cyclonev-video-development-kit-avdb

And it is NAND, not eMMC, so I need to create more complicated controller.

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel
Hi Ivan, I think the question would be why is there no eMMC in FPGA without SoCs? Because document will not be made if the device itself is not in the specify in the board. I'm sorry I could not answer your question. Maybe the question is to be asked to the Marketing Team on why eMMC is not chosen to be installed in non SoC FPGAs? Best Regards.
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi el.ign,

Thank you for your answer.

But I don't know how to ask the Marketing Team to advise on my question. 

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

There are 3 types of non SoCs FPGA for Cyclone V family; Cyclone V E, Cyclone V GX, Cyclone V GT.

It is probably up to the manufacturing company decision I guess in terms of wide users demands. For example, if they want to build their customer board using one of the 3 mentioned Cyclone V non SoCs FPGA, and with any types of flash devices eMMC, NAND, etc2.. Only then documents will be provided receptively to the devices.

Regards.

IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi el.ign,

Of course, that is obvious.

Unfortunately, there is still no answer to my question.

It looks like it is a rare need in such flash devices for customers.

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel
Hi Ivan, That looks like the case for non SoC FPGA boards not having such flash devices. I apologize to not satisfy you with an answer. Regards.
0 Kudos
IDeyn
New Contributor III

Hi el.ign!

Thank you anyway.

--

Best Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos