Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Drive leds with CPLD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, sorry form my little question about currents. 

I'm trying to reduce the components usage of an board using a CPLD. 

I wan't to control buttons, leds and logic with a MAXV, but I'm not sure how many led's can I drive using it. 

I have read from the device manual that it can drive +-25mA, but it's the absolute ratings, I have found the document "an286.pdf" where they mencion limits based on a table of "Maximum Source Current Per VCCIO Group" and "Maximum Sink Current Per GNDIO Group" but I cannot find this for the MAX V CPLD in the table netither in the dc caracteristic nor the website. 

I hoped to put the CPLD output, an resistor and the LED to ground, ensuring that it drives 10mA and use like 20 leds, but i'm not sure if I going out of spec or not, and I'm not sure if it best this or connect to +3.3V and sink the current. 

Hopping that you could give me some points, thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use sinking configuration. MaxV can handle 20mA per pin sinking without problem

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Use sinking configuration. MaxV can handle 20mA per pin sinking without problem 

--- Quote End ---  

Have any limits per bank in that configuration? In an286.pdf they tell 130mA per GNDIO Bank for the MAXII, but i can't find any information about this. 

Certanly I will not use too much leds, less than 20 so even that especification will be correct, but I would love to known the limits, if there is any, since in the MAXII they existed like is said in the an286.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a MAXII board with 8 LEDs. They are from the same bank. I believe sinking current should not be problem at all.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/max-v/mv51003.pdf 

DC Output current can be -25 to 25 mA, so you should be good. Honestly I've used 20 year old CPLDs that could sink 16 leds.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As a first guess, I would assume that the AN286 specifications apply for MAX V as well.

0 Kudos