Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Efficient Way to store and compare MAC addresses

Matcha
Novice

Hello,

I am quite new to using higher level FPGA elements since in college we only used small scale designs with at most 16-bit wide busses and predefined data paths so forgive me if this question is noobish.

I have been given a list of MAC addresses that I need to store and then compare with incoming ethernet frames in a whitelist fashion. I am using the Triple Speed Ethernet IP.

My initial idea was to use a CAM but I have come to understand that modern FPGAs don't have them. I am now thinking to store the addresses in BRAM but now comes the question of how to compare them. Is it possible to have a 48-bit wide comparator or even a 96-bit wide comparator to compare src and dest MACs in a single shot?

Thank you in advance for the help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan

Yes, if you want to make comparison. You can make use of the comparator, all the IP is in the IP catalog.

What I would suggest is you use modelsim to make sure the behavior is the one that you want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Yes, if you want to make comparison. You can make use of the comparator, all the IP is in the IP catalog.

What I would suggest is you use modelsim to make sure the behavior is the one that you want.

0 Kudos
Matcha
Novice

Hi yes, this helped me out. I able to make a comparator with the bus widths I needed through the IP generator.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that we have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos