Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Enabling distributed compilation for Quartus Pro ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Recently I came across this 'distributed compilation' in parellel over multiple machines for Quartus Pro - from one of altera spectra-q marketing document. ( https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/backgrounder/spectra-q-engine-backgrounder.pdf, page 3) .  

I guess it should need some sort of setup to specific the machine nodes to distribute to ( or izzit not?! ). But I am not where near to get the right info about quartus-pro-userguide.  

Anyone know how to enable this ? Or some useful link to read ? 

Thanks, 

OT
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Search for the "Design Space Explorer II" tool, which is part of Quartus. This uses LSF or SSH compute resources on a network to distribute multiple compilations.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sstrell,  

Thanks for your reply. DSE distributes design compilation with different compiler settings into different machine nodes. It seems different from the 'distributed compilation' stated in the spectra-q document. Based on what is written in the document, it states  

'Distributed compilations allow you to partition your design and compile each of these 

partitions in parallel over multiple computers in a server farm, dramatically reducing your 

overall compilation time. ' 

which I thought is an automated way to partition a design and distribute them over multiple machines for compilation.  

-OT
0 Kudos