Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

Enpirion

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! I use the chip supply Enpirion EN23F0QI and EN2360QI. Recently, I found a site Altera datasheet, which says: Not Recommended for New Designs. What does it mean? These chips will no longer produce, or they have a defect? Why is it done? Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most likely they are going end of life. If they have a defect there will be a published errata document detailing the problem. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Why is it done? 

--- Quote End ---  

So manufacturers don't have to continue manufacturing old technologies. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The most amazing thing that the site is no chip EN23F0QI Altera and its analogue. And there is no chip supply 15 amps. No chips with an input voltage up to 14 volts. If the chips EN23F0QI and EN2360QI outdated, it would be logical to see the new chip-like. So I conclude that they had problems with the development of the chip, and they decided to abandon these chips at all. 

I have a situation already burned about 5 chips EN23F0QI. Basically this happens when you turn on. The load on the output of the chip about 4 Ampere. Everything is done according to the datasheet. Maybe you can tell what I'm doing wrong? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It would only be logical to see a successor device if that suited Altera's product road map. This part is only an Altera product as a result of their acquisition of Enpirion. It's not Altera's core business. So, I'm not surprised they're dropping the part. 

There are plenty of devices, from far more popular power converter brands, to chose from - e.g. ti's tps56121 (http://www.ti.com/product/tps56121). Altera also have a strong partnership with Linear Tech - try their ltm4627 (http://www.linear.com/product/ltm4627) - who are frequently used on their development boards. Why compete? 

As to why your devices are burning out - I can't make out your schematic. How much output capacitance do you have? Too much might cause this. Could you have a build fault? Can you power your load from a bench supply? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Output capacity is large enough, about 1500uF. (which includes the output capacitance, that listed on the datasheet) 

You propose to connect my load to the external power source? (Without Enpirion) How it will help me? 

thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Powering your load from a bench supply will simply help you understand your load a little better. Are you sure it's only taking 4A? Even at switch on? What's the inrush current? You mention 1500uF. Depending on what sort of capacitors they are, that could amount to a high inrush current, possibly enough to damage your PSU. 

There's nothing obviously wrong with your PSU schematic. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello! I use the chip supply Enpirion EN23F0QI and EN2360QI. Recently, I found a site Altera datasheet, which says: Not Recommended for New Designs. What does it mean? These chips will no longer produce, or they have a defect? Why is it done? Thank you! 

--- Quote End ---  

We had problems with these parts. Appears they burn if there is not a fast discharge path to remove all charge on output quickly enough before a new power on.
0 Kudos