Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

Example of Arria10 1588 design to restore an 1PPS when working as the slave device

JET60200
New Contributor I

hello all,

Our Arria10 GX is 10GE port,  we need A10 work as "the 1588 slave" device to restore an exact 1PPS signal from the peer side 1588 Golden Master device.  Is there an example for this scenario ?

ALSO,  what we only want is the “ restored 1pps from 1588 master”, we don't need  TOD timestamp,  so do we need  a CPU to run  1588 stack, or not necessary ?   Pls advise. 

Thanks a lot  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

In the Arria 10 1588 example design, there is a pulse per second block, and it has an output signal for PPS. In a complete 1588 example, it has to run with CPU and software stack.

The AN739 in the following link may be helpful to you.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an739.pdf

Have a nice day.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

It will be helpful if u can elaborate further on what you are trying to achieve if this is different from the regular 1588 design.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
JET60200
New Contributor I

Thanks @SengKok_L_Intel ,

I want to exclude the CPU usgae (probably the 1588 Stack) in my current A10GX design,  is that possible for FPGA itself to restore ToD from 10GE incoming ptp,  and generate an accurate 1PPS signal ?

Thanks very much

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

No, the Intel IP does not implement the event messaging protocol layer, so it requires user logic/software stack to manage PTP messaging and corresponding offset adjustments.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos