Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

FPGA + Camera iamge sensors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can any one recommend a camera sensor that can be easily attached to the FPGA? 

I don't need high frame rates. It is a simple project related to image processing. 

I found some people use OV7670 but could find it online. 

I could not also find a good datasheet that explains the ports of the image sensors and the communication protocol. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cannot anyone help?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I found some people use OV7670 but could find it online. 

I could not also find a good datasheet that explains the ports of the image sensors and the communication protocol. 

--- Quote End ---  

Are you serious ? 

Taking a quick search on the Web it's possible to find lot of PDF's containing detailed information.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This company sells a lot of different sensor modules: 

https://www.leopardimaging.com/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This company sells a lot of different sensor modules: 

https://www.leopardimaging.com/ 

--- Quote End ---  

I already checked their website. There is no detailed datasheet to describe the protocol used for interfacing the sensors. 

The only valid solution I found was for modules coming from "on semiconductors". But Omnivision does not provide any detailed datasheets for their camera sensors. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But Omnivision does not provide any detailed datasheets for their camera sensors. 

--- Quote End ---  

Of course they do. How else would anyone design with their sensors? You just have to contact them and ask.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Of course they do. How else would anyone design with their sensors? You just have to contact them and ask. 

--- Quote End ---  

Believe me I tried asking OmniVision before asking in this topic. I will try again with them. 

Thanks anyway.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Believe me I tried asking OmniVision before asking in this topic. I will try again with them. 

Thanks anyway. 

--- Quote End ---  

I know, it can be frustrating working with companies like this who require a "relationship" before they'll cough up a data sheet. But I've used their sensors before and very detailed data sheets do exist. Aptina (now ON Semi) is also a good choice. If their data sheets are readily available then that's a good reason to go with them. 

You might also try contacting Terasic. They make this HSMC daughter card that accommodates Aptina sensors: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=68&no=625 

They can also probably guide you on what sensor to use, etc. And this card will plug directly into many Altera dev kits. 

ON Semi also sells dev kits for the Aptina sensors. Here's one example: 

http://www.onsemi.com/powersolutions/evalboard.do?id=mt9m114eblstczd-gevk 

You have to call and talk to these companies. They will help you. Terasic may be a great place to start because they cater specifically to people like you who are doing FPGA development. 

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK thanks rsefton 

I may go with ON Semi, and may try to contact others
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what is the FPGA? Is this a dev board, custom design or so ething else? 

Tere are a lot of protocols, so I would reccommend doing what you are doing and first select a camera an then look at thenprotocol and see if you think you can implement this.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is a custom FPGA board. 

I don't know an exact camera module that can do the task I want. It is an image processing small project. PietervanderStar, if you have some module in your mind, please tell. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, but you don't want to read a prestored image? 

A small image processing project, does this mean it is a small project or a small image? I take the latter to mean low resolution. You have already said you don't care much about the framerate, so then it is a matter of costs and available connections to the FPGA. Howmany IOs do you have available, which FPGA is on your board? I don't have a specific chip or camera to reccommend to you.  

You might also want to take a look at some (free) IP that others have created to read from a camera.  

It may be you can do what you want with an old consumer handheld camera that has video out, but that might require ad converters.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK thanks 

I am determined now that the image sensors are the best solution for what I want 

I am using a cyclone chip. FPGA has many available pins to use. 

Yes it is a low resolution.
0 Kudos