Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20723 Discussions

Failure on getting timing closure for custom transceiver (phy) interface + dcfifo

arno_va
New Contributor I

I'm designing a duplex serial interface using the "Custom PHY Intel FPGA IP".  It's a single lane interface with PCS-PMA width=10 and fabric interface = 8. Since my data-rate is fairly low I've chosen nearly the lowest (base) data-rate possible for the serial interface which is 625 MBps.  The transceiver runs at a reference clock of 62.5 Mhz and the rest of the FPGA design runs at 100 MHz. Therefor I've used 2 DCFIFOs to interface between the transceiver interface and the rest of the FPGA: One DCFIFO has the transceiver's tx_clk as read-clock and its tx_parallel_data = the DCFIFO's q-output and one DCFIFO has the transceiver's rx_clk as write_clock and its  data-input is connected to the transceiver's rx_parallel_data. Obviously I've setup sdc constraints for both clocks. The problem is that I'm consistently getting timing-closure failures like:

-0.289	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a0	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a0~DUPLICATE	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	0.000	0.941	0.652	1
-0.282	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a0	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a0	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	0.000	0.935	0.653	2
-0.189	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a1	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a1	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	0.000	0.936	0.747	3
-0.273	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a2	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a2	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	0.000	0.935	0.662	4
-0.117	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a3	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a3	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	0.000	0.935	0.818	5
-0.187	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a4	stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_v1q1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a4	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	stm_trx_fbr_interface|trx_ip_inst|A5|transceiver_core|gen.av_xcvr_native_insts[0].gen_bonded_group.av_xcvr_native_inst|inst_av_pcs|ch[0].inst_av_pcs_ch|inst_av_hssi_8g_tx_pcs|wys|txpmalocalclk	0.000	0.935	0.748	6

So specifically the transceiver's txpmalocalclk is giving me a hard time. Anyone understands what's going on there?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RichardTanSY_Intel

I am not sure why the hold violation is not optimized by the tool. I have tried to adjust the Fitter Advanced settings, but I was unable to resolve the hold violation.

However, I noticed that the setup for the failing timing path has a significant positive slack window. I used the set_min_delay SDC on those paths with timing violations to compensate for the hold window, and I was able to resolve the violation.

Attached the project and the SDC list used:

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:stmbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_RESET_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:stmbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_FINISH_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_6vn1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a*}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:stmbus_tx_framer|\tx_framer_process:framer_counter[*]}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:adcbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_RESET_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:adcbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_FINISH_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_6vn1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a*}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:adcbus_tx_framer|\tx_framer_process:framer_counter[*]}] 

Other changes made:

1. Disable all the assignment setting.
  2. Add the I/O SDC constraint for the bidirectional port.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

May I know if the failing timing path occurs in the Transceiver IP or the FPGA design?

If it is failing on the IP side, I will need to consult with the IP owner.

Could you please share your design by archiving the project (Project > Archive Project) so that I can investigate it further?

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If you find any answers from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, we encourage you to mark them as the best answer or rate them 4/5 in the survey. 

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Dear Richard,

I'm not sure but from the looks of it, it seems the FPGA design is what's failing. Could it be that somehow the 

tx_clkout()-outputs of the transceiver IP are not properly propagated to global clocks? I've trying forcing that in the assignment-editor but that doesn't to work.

I've attached my design. Hopefully you can spot the issue.

EDIT: To get an idea about my design, a (rough!) block diagram of my transceiver interface:
arno_va_0-1699426404930.png

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Dear Richard,

Do you have any update on this?

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I may need some time to check the design. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Sorry, I am still looking into this. Will get back to you once I have any finding.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I am not sure why the hold violation is not optimized by the tool. I have tried to adjust the Fitter Advanced settings, but I was unable to resolve the hold violation.

However, I noticed that the setup for the failing timing path has a significant positive slack window. I used the set_min_delay SDC on those paths with timing violations to compensate for the hold window, and I was able to resolve the violation.

Attached the project and the SDC list used:

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:stmbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_RESET_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:stmbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_FINISH_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_6vn1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a*}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {stmbus_fiber:stmbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:stmbus_tx_framer|\tx_framer_process:framer_counter[*]}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:adcbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_RESET_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:adcbus_tx_framer|tx_framer_state.FRAMER_FINISH_STATE}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|fifo_async_16x32:tx_fifo_async_16x32|dcfifo:dcfifo_component|dcfifo_6vn1:auto_generated|a_graycounter_bu6:rdptr_g1p|counter5a*}] 

set_min_delay -2 -from [get_keepers {adcbus_fiber:adcbus_fiber_instance|tx_framer:adcbus_tx_framer|\tx_framer_process:framer_counter[*]}] 

Other changes made:

1. Disable all the assignment setting.
  2. Add the I/O SDC constraint for the bidirectional port.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Dear Richard,

Thank you very much for your help, that fixed my issue once again.  Strange that Quartus is unable to automatically do this, but at least I understand now what to look for the next time it happens.

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Thank you for acknowledging the solution provided.

Now, I will transition this thread to community support. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos