Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20736 Discussions

Global, Local, Regional, and Peripheral clocks

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

How can I know what pins could be used as the Global, Local, Regional, and Peripheral clocks in the ArriaV device (as an example)? What difference between these clocks? Where to read about (manual/tutorial/userguide)? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi dmitryl, 

As far as I know you can use any pin as global, local, regional or peripheral clock when you use Altera's ATLCLKCTRL IP block. The IP block allows you to "promote" a certain signal to travel over dedicated spines, e.g. the global spine which covers the entire FPGA, or a local clock spine, which covers only certain area of the FGPA etc. 

Regards, Richard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cannot find the ATLCLKCTRL IP in the IP-Catalog... I'm using the Quartus-II v15.0. Where should I see for this IP? Thank you

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Should I manually insert this IP into my HDL code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What's the difference between the Local, Regional, and Peripheral clocks? Are there another clock types (besides Global)?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is every device pin/pad has an attached Global Clock Buffer? I had a design where the Fitter went to another rib of the device to pick up a Global Clock buffer there... Why did it do so? How to avoid such route "travelling"?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Probably the Fitter make such a route to meet timing requirement .

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Read the Clock Networks section of the arria v device handbook (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/arria-v/av_5v2.pdf). Table 4-1 shows you exactly which pins you should use to access the clock resources available. Avoid specifically instantiating the ALTCLKCTRL IP and let Quartus chose the appropriate resources needed for your design. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Generally you should only manually assign the clock network type if you have in depth understanding on the clock network and have specific reason ie fanout, timing meeting.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi All, 

How can I know what pins could be used as the Global, Local, Regional, and Peripheral clocks in the ArriaV device (as an example)? What difference between these clocks? Where to read about (manual/tutorial/userguide)? 

Thank you! 

--- Quote End ---  

what are you trying to do?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks to all! It was a mistake of a board designer so he connected a clock source to a pin, which was not a dedicated clock pin. As the result, the fitter traveled to far for just picking up a global clock buffer. This travelling was resulted in the setup violations of about 3(!) clock cycles!  

It seems I resolved the issue by switching the "Global Signal" pin attribute to OFF. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11546
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How can i know what pins in ArriaV might be used as Global or Regional clocks? 

In the ArriaV Handbook, in the Table 4-1 (see attached below), there is only mention what the pins are CLK[0..11] and CLK[16..23] for ST devices, but where the pin numbers themselves? Where can I locate the pins (know their pin numbers)?  

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11551
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look at the appropriate Pin-out file for your device. See pin-out files for altera devices (https://www.altera.com/support/literature/lit-dp.html#arria-v). 

Under the Optional Function(s) column, you're looking for the CLK[0..11] pins. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! As for the CLK[0..11] pins, they are the Global clock pins, are not?  

But what pins might be used as the Local, Regional, and Peripheral clock pins? 

Thank you again
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, they're global. However, you can also access the other resources from them. Refer to table 4-1 in the device handbook (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/arria-v/av_5v2.pdf) for all the options available. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Cannot find the ATLCLKCTRL IP in the IP-Catalog... I'm using the Quartus-II v15.0. Where should I see for this IP? Thank you 

--- Quote End ---  

Were you able to find this in IP catalogue? I am using Quartus 16.1.2.203 and targeting for Arria 10 device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alternatively, you can manually the clock network selection using Assignment Editor

0 Kudos