Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

HDMI video processing from HDMI in

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have read through most of the forum and searched google multiple times to figure this out but I can't seem to find an answer. 

I am working on a project that requires HDMI input and that can process the color data and then forward the video back out the HDMI out port at 1080p. There is a similiar product on the market that can perform the same idea but with a little bit different outcome.  

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16882941001 

The only difference is that I would like to add an ethernet interface to my project and some general purpose I/O as well as include EDID and CEC. 

The FPGA on that device is Cyclone IV E (EP4CE30F23C6N). I am wondering if the EP4CE6F17C8N would be able to perform the same functions? To be completely honest I am a beginner in FPGA and looking at the choices for the Cyclone IV is a little overwhelming. Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I doubt it. 

If the company who designed that product had anything about them they would ensure they shipped with the cheapest FPGA possible. So, I have to assume that they determined that the EP4CE30F23C6N was a) appropriately big for their logic requirements; and b) a suitable speed grade. 

The EP4CE6F17C8N part you're suggesting is much smaller (able to implement far less logic) and slower. 

You're also looking to add an Ethernet interface, which will require additional logic as compared to the Color3 box. 

The best option is to code it, compile it and use Quartus to help you chose an appropriate part. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your response and that is also what i figured. So this may seem like the wrong venue to discuss my next question so maybe just a statement, but I do not see how the prices of that chip allows them to create the board and keep the product at a low price. Once everything is added up there is no room for profit. Of course the product is no longer created but I doubt that they did it for free. Just to be clear I am trying to add up whether it would be viable to create a product that my business partner has an idea for before we get to far into development.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't underestimate the purchasing power of some companies. 

Altera's on-line price for that part is just under $60. That particular part is not on our system here. However, as an example, the EP4CE30F29C8N is. 

Altera's online price for that is $41.89. We can source that part for under $6. 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

were you sending data from ethernet port and get the output from HDMI port?

0 Kudos