Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

How do I get the address of the PHY port on an EP3C120 dev board?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm working with the Cyclone III dev board (EP3C120), where I can use the Triple Speed Ethernet MegaCore for a communication. But for this I need to have the address of the PHY port on the board. I've checked in the data-sheet but could not find it anywhere... Where can I get any information about it? Thanks.:)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The phy address will be set by a few external resistors on the IC. These pins are used to bootstrap some parameters, like phy address, autoneg state, media mode, etc. that can be tied to a series of config pins. It's more than likely the sch (and board docs) will tell you the phy address.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Post a link to the board you have. Most of the Altera kits I have use a Marvell 88E1111 with a PHY address of 0, using MDIO mode for the communications interface. 

For a PHY address of zero, config[0] = GND, and config[1] = LED_LINK1000. 

If your board has this PHY, but a different connection, respond with the link and I'll look in the PHY data sheet to tell you what the address is. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks a lot :) 

I got this board (htt p://w ww.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3-dsp.html) and on it is exactly the Marvell 88E1111 chip, I'll give a try :) (sry got no access to post a link yet) 

cheers
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I got this board (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3-dsp.html) and on it is exactly the Marvell 88E1111 chip 

--- Quote End ---  

Page 13 of the schematic has the PHY, with  

CONFIG[0] = LED_RX = 010b => PHY address [2:0] = 010b 

CONFIG[1] = LED_LINK10 = 110b => PHY address [4:3] = 10b 

So PHY address [4:0] = 10010b = 12h 

The PHY is configured to use MDIO mode, so this is the address you need to use along with the MDIO bus protocol (rather than using I2C). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos