Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20790 Discussions

How to compare Stratix V vs Xilinx resource

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How to I compare logic resources (logic gates, FFs) for a Stratix V part 5SGXEABN2F45C2 and part 5SGXEA7N2F45C2 versus a Xilinx Virtex7 XC7V2000T?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What exactly do you want to check? easiest thing is just check the percentage usage?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had been working with Xilinx' Virtex5 FX200T, Virtex6 LX760 and Vitex7 2000T. Without running through any tools, how can I compare the number of FFs and logic gates? For instance, for Virtex5 FX200T there are 122,880 FFs and 196,608 logic cells. How does it measure up to the Stratix V parts above? 

Regards, 

Mark
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

see page 4 for Stratix V resources: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/stratix-v/stx5_51001.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From that, it seems straightforward to compare FFs where the 5SGXA7 has 939k which compares to the V6LX760 with 948k FFs. How does one compare the 622k Logic Elements for 5SGXA7 to the 758k Logic Cells for V6LX760? Is there an agreed upon convention to convert to logic gates?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From that, it seems straightforward to compare FFs where the 5SGXA7 has 939k which compares to the V6LX760 with 948k FFs. How does one compare the 622k Logic Elements for 5SGXA7 to the 758k Logic Cells for V6LX760? Is there an agreed upon convention to convert to logic gates? 

--- Quote End ---  

I do'nt think it is easy to convert LUTs to gate figure as this depends on archtitecture of LUT and hence device. 

The resource categorisation is identical as shown below, though xilinx reports more useless detailed breakdown: 

xilinx slice registers: Altera dedicated registers 

xilinx slice LUTs: altera LUTs (aLUTs) 

Number used as memory: altera mem aluts 

Number of block ram/fifo: altera memory blocks 

Number of DSP(48Es): altera dsp elelments...etc
0 Kudos