Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20834 Discussions

How to disable lvds output in arria 10 chip dynamically?

lambert_yu
Novice

Hi, all

fpga: arria 10

quartus II: 18.0 standard

I have requirement  for the lvds ip, when I have no data output, I need to disable lvds pin dynamically. So I add below design:

tx_serdes tx_serdes_inst(

.inclk (clk),

.rst  (rst),

.data (data),

.tx_coreclock(usr_clk),

.data_o (data_lvds) //io standard : "lvds"

);

assign data_o = oe ? data_lvds : 1'bz;

From this Why do I see functional errors in hardware when implementing... (intel.com), I know there's bug and from this information, I don't know if there's chance to disable the lvds output?

If not, how could disable lvds output dynamically? If yes, is there chance to modify this issue in quartus II 18.0? Or I need to use the quartus 22.0 or later version?

BRs,

Lambert

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

LVDS IO-standard has no tri-state feature, independent of FPGA series or Quartus version. You can refer to BLVDS (bus LVDS) if it's fast enough. On Arria 10, there's no BLVDS choice available, you'll use differential SSTL instead.

See: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683803/current/implementing-bus-lvds-interface-in-supported.html

0 Kudos
lambert_yu
Novice

Hi FvM,

Thanks for your help.

I found that there's one required choice (Use pseudo-differential buffer) in altera gpio ip. So if I use SSTL IO standard instead of POD io standard, there's no error, right?

BRs,

Lambert

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Based on the Application note, you can use Differential SSTL-I8 Class I and II if you want to implement BLVDS interface. With the BLVDS, the output buffer and input buffer can share with the same I/O pins, and you need OE signal to disable the LVDS output buffer when not sending signals.

Reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683803/current/blvds-technology-in-devices.html

0 Kudos
lambert_yu
Novice

Hi, Aqid

I tried this solution, and I found that when I set the oe to low, there's no data on the bus.  I used two diff pair to do this test. I found that there's one pad which input has random 0->1 or 1-> 0 toggle, and anothe didn't have when these two pad are all input and diff bus was not driven. I don't know why, could you help proide some information for this?

my design: arria 10 (10ax115n3f45i2sg)

one diff pair :  (in 2j bank, which use the reference clock from its dedicated clk pin)

pll instance1();

gpio instance1(); (simple register mode)

another diff pair: (in 2h bank, which use the reference clock from its dedicated clk pin)

pll instance2();

gpio instance2(); (simple register mode)

pattern : 0101010...

connection : these two diff pairs connected directly.

BRs,

Lambert

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
not sure what you are trying to achieve. Seeing no output with OE=0 (output inactive) is expectable. A receiver on the bus might however read arbitary data (= noise) when no peer is driving the bus. You can try bias resistors as used in RS-485 to enforce a defined state of undriven bus.

0 Kudos