Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

How to manually trigger or inhibit periodic OCT updates in Arria 10

SLabe
Partner

As mentioned in A10 EMIF UG, looking for information on the following statement:

"Contact Intel FPGA Technical Services for information on how to manually trigger or inhibit periodic OCT updates for applications that are sensitive to latency."

Please share the solution so I can enable my customer. Thank you,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
yoichiK_intel
Employee

Hi 

You can change the periodic OCT option in the EMIF IP GUI parameter. 

oct.JPG

0 Kudos
SLabe
Partner

Hi, the GUI only lets permanently enable or disable Periodic OCT Calibration. What we need is the ability to selectively block it during critical data transfers and then re-enable it the rest of the time to compensate for temperature cycling, etc ...

According to 3.4.3:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/eqw1503946000045.html#mhi1460567996227 there is a way to do this, but requires your support. My local Intel resource indicated some lower level code may need changing to expose the appropriate controls.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
yoichiK_intel
Employee

Hi

There is file to control the periodic OCT update and you can tweak the oct_recal_req signal in the file to enable or disable the periodic OCT.

ip/ed_synth/ed_synth_emif_0/altera_emif_arch_nf_191/synth/altera_emif_arch_nf_oct.sv

0 Kudos
Ben_C
Novice

Hi

Are you sure it's  oct_recal_req and not  oct_cal_req? 
Maybe I'm wrong but oct_recal_req  output goes to c2t_afi[6] in altera_emif_arch_nf_seq_if.sv and that's it. No other action is done. On the other hand, the oct state machine triggers with oct_cal_req.

Thank you

0 Kudos
yoichiK_intel
Employee

I was bit inaccurate.   not oct_cal_req ,but r_oct_cal_req signal in the RTL to disable it.   oct_cal_req is the signal used during the power up.

Here is the example RTL change to disable periodic OCT update.

always_ff @(posedge w_oct_clock)

begin

if (w_oct_reset == 1'b1)

begin

r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-1)]   <= 1'b0;

r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-2):0] <= OCT_RECAL_TIMER_PRESET[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-2):0];

r_oct_recal_req                                <= 1'b0;

end

else if (user_oct_disalbe)                                          // added, user interface signal.

r_oct_recal_req                                <= 1'b0; // added, disable periodic OCT

else

begin

if (r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-1)] == 1'b1)

begin

r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-1)]   <= 1'b0;

r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-2):0] <= OCT_RECAL_TIMER_PRESET[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-2):0];

r_oct_recal_req                                <= ~r_oct_recal_req;

end

else

begin

r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-1):0] <= r_oct_recal_timer[(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-1):0]

- {{(OCT_RECAL_TIMER_WIDTH-1){1'b0}}, 1'b1};

end

end

end