Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Inferring two multipliers in one DPS block in verilog/VHDL, Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The module dsp1a infers two DSP blocks. Why not one DSP? Is there any way to force synthesiser to use one DSP block? 

I would like to use Independent Multiplier Mode of DSP block. 

While the similar module dsp1a+dsp1b (top level is now dsp1b) uses one DSP block, as expected. 

module dsp1a(input wire [7:0] a1, input wire [7:0] b1,  

input wire [7:0] a2, input wire [7:0] b2,  

output wire [15:0] y1, 

output wire [15:0] y2 

);//infers 2 DSP when top-level: BAD 

assign y1 = a1 * b1; 

assign y2 = a2 * b2; 

endmodule 

module dsp1b(input wire [7:0] a1, input wire [7:0] b1,  

input wire [7:0] a2, input wire [7:0] b2,  

output wire [15:0] y 

);//infers 1 DSP when top-level: OK 

wire [15:0] y1; 

wire [15:0] y2; 

dsp1a dsp1 (.a1(a1), .b1(b1), .a2(a2), .b2(b2), .y1(y1), .y2(y2)); 

assign y = y1 + y2; 

endmodule 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for reply. But I tried inferring 26 multipliers on device having 25 DSP blocks and it not fit. So automatic merging multipliers to DSP seems doesn't occur. I tried also different speed/balance optimization.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do you mean that you are using 26 independent 8x8 multiples? did you see fitting error or any other errors? How many DSP blocks are occupied?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, exactly. There was no warning or error, except that design was bigger than device. I used 26 independent 8x8 multipliers described in code above, it occupies 26 DSP blocks. Also tried different coding (with/without registers, clock), synthetis attributes, settings, etc. 

I would like to infer this: 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v2.pdf , page 50
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Rather than filling an FPGA until all of its DSP resources are used, you can use logiclock to force the design into a smaller area. 

If for example, you expect to fit two multipliers into a single DSP block, and you have used the appropriate DSP block inference HDL code, then it will work. If it does not, then I would first recommend instantiating an IP Catalog instance and confirm that you can get the DSP logic packed into a single block. Then go and use the templates provided in the Quartus II editor (assuming there is some DSP logic close to what you want). Basically you'll need to "debug" why your inference code is not working. It could be something simple like the use of a reset control in your HDL that does not exist in the underlying resource. I'd recommend dumbing-down your design until it packs correctly, and then edit and synthesize to determine what additional logic causes it to fail. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. I tried: verilog and VHDL modules with configurations that matched DSP block schematic (seen both in Chip Planner and in datasheet [1]), recommended coding styles, templates, multiplier drawn in BDF schematic, altera lpm_mult IP functions. In every case the result was 2 DSP blocks. But in [1], table 3-4 on page 49 it is shown that DSP block supports three 9x9 multiplications in independent configuration. Now I am trying to explicitly pack DSP input registers (three 9bit -> 27bit input), without success. 

[1] https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v2.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you. I tried: verilog and VHDL modules with configurations that matched DSP block schematic (seen both in Chip Planner and in datasheet [1]), recommended coding styles, templates, multiplier drawn in BDF schematic, altera lpm_mult IP functions. In every case the result was 2 DSP blocks. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sounds like you have tried everything :) 

--- Quote Start ---  

But in [1], table 3-4 on page 49 it is shown that DSP block supports three 9x9 multiplications in independent configuration. Now I am trying to explicitly pack DSP input registers (three 9bit -> 27bit input), without success. 

[1] https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v2.pdf 

--- Quote End ---  

File a Service Request with Altera directly. They were the ones who suggested I try LogicLock when I had a similar question. Hopefully they can help you with this question. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,  

I am facing the same issue of jenii. Both Quartus v14 and v15 does not pack three multipliers 9x9bit within the same DSP block. I tried also with the lpm_mult and altmult instances with no luck.  

Jenii, have you got any news from Altera? 

Cheers, 

Luca
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Luca, 

still I have not good news. If I find the solution, I will write it here. 

Cheers, Jan 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all,  

I am facing the same issue of jenii. Both Quartus v14 and v15 does not pack three multipliers 9x9bit within the same DSP block. I tried also with the lpm_mult and altmult instances with no luck.  

Jenii, have you got any news from Altera? 

Cheers, 

Luca 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

pls try to create a simple design which consist only three multipliers 9x9 and then logic lock this design with a region that consist only one DSP block. It should work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having a similar problem where I have 8 9x9 multipliers and their outputs are fed into an adder tree to get the sum of products. 

I was hoping Quartus to use only 3 DSP blocks, where 2 DSPs are in "three independent 9x9" mode and 1 DSP in "three indepedent 9x9" or "two 18x18" mode. 

However, Quartus manages to use 4 DSPs with 2 sets of cascaded "sum of four 18x18" blocks (2 DSP for each four 18x18). 

I tried setting a logic lock region which has 3 DSPs and sufficient amount of LUTs for the adder tree, but Quartus complains unable to fit. 

Hope Quartus can provide more fine-grained controls to users in this case.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm having a similar problem, our design fails to fit with an error about too many dsp elements but it should easily fit when packing 2 18x18 / 3 9x9s in each dsp... 

I found that by setting the 'Auto pack registers' under fitter settings to Off (the default is Auto i think), the design now fits. it seems like its packing registers in to the dsps before it actually packs the multipliers in... or something... 

Would be good to get a proper fix as register packing is useful to have on. 

Hope it helps, 

Cheers 

Adam
0 Kudos