Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

Jam STAPL Bytecode Player ported to Windows and SouthBridge IO

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have an application where a MAX II CPLD is connected to 4 GPIO of a Intel South Bridge. 

I want to know if anyone has ported the JAM STAPLE BYTECODE PLAYER to a windows system with HARDCODED memory mapped GPIO? 

The reference design that exists on the web is 95% complete I just don't have the 'C' programing skills to really know what needs to be modified. 

The following application note almost gets you there. 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii51015.pdf 

The code can be found here: 

https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/programming/jam/dnl-byte_code_player.jsp
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want help on remote reprogramming of CPLD using a microcontroller. Which format the file needs to be sent to microcontroller and how to convert it to JTAG format for it to be able to rprogram CPLD. 

Am new to this filed and have no clue whatsoever. This is for purely academic interest. 

thanks in anticipation
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you want the JAM Byte code player. You would create a JBC file with Quartus and the Bytecode player contains all the commands you need to talk JTAG through GPIO. 

Just search for JAM on the Altera website and you will get a bunch of hits.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot....but can i store the JAM byte code player on a8051 and use it directly. I do not have the source could for it so how do i convert it.  

Is there anyway of sendi a Hex file (redailible by me) and then use som conversion/synchronisation mechnaism with the JTAG. 

I really do not have much background for the same. 

Can JAM byte code plaer be loaded on XP..it says win98..i tried but failed. 

thanks
0 Kudos