Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX10 damage if VCC_PLL pins not connected???

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Will a MAX10 10M04DAF256C8G be damaged if the device is powered up with the 2 VCC_PLL and/or 2 VCCA voltage pins floating? 

Background: 

We have a PCB with a wiring error where the VCC_PLL pins were wired to 3.3V (I/O voltage) instead of 1.2V core voltage. We are not using any of the analog functions on the MAX10 and VCCA pins are connected to 3.3V I/O voltage. Each of the above VDD_PLL and VCCA pairs of pins are connected with a trace on the top layer (under the MAX10) and each pair is fed from a 3.3V via connected to the 3.3V power plane. We have isolated each of these pairs of pins from the 3.3V plane by micro drilling from the bottom at the via location. What is left is the 4 pins are floating but each VCC_PLL/VCCA pin pair is still connected with the top layer trace.  

So... at this point we have one of 6 very expensive pre-production boards in this isolated state and are ready to power it up to test. We realize that the PLLs aren't going to work but can proceed to test much of the board to see if there are any more nasty errors such as this one. If we find everything is OK, there are several ways we can connect to the via barrel which is visible and accessible at the bottom of the hole drilled to isolate from the 3.3V plane and wire to a nearby 1.2V node. In that way, we can rework and save the 6 boards!  

The question is then will we damage the MAX10 by powering it up with the VDD_PLL pins floating but each connected to a VCCA pin? Note: the VCCA pins are NOT bussed on the MAX10 and we are assuming that 2 of the VCCA pins connected to 1.2V and the rest to 3.3V will not be an issue since we are not using any of the analog functions.  

Any advice on this will be much appreciated! 

Thanks 

Al
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check this user guide: https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_datasheet.pdf page 6 

I think VCCA has to be 2.5V and VCC_PLL is 1.2V. There are also 2 notes worth noting: 

All VCCA pins must be powered to 2.5 V (even when PLLs are not used), and must be powered up and powered down at the same time. 

VCCD_PLL must always be connected to VCC through a decoupling capacitor and ferrite bead 

I think you have a problem with these boards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply! 

I've been over the user guide and datasheet (many times) and see the information you are referring to. Absolute Max rating on VCCA is -0.5V to 3.9V so it doesn't seem that we would damage the MAX10 by powering the 2 VCCA pins at 1.2V. We aren't using any analog functions. 

We are ultimately trying to get 1.2V connected to the VCCD_PLL pins but before we do the costly rework on these expensive boards we are trying to power up the boards with the VCCD_PLL pins isolated to check for other issues. Clearly those pins need to be powered through the recommended filter for proper performance of the PLLs but are we going to damage the MAX10 if we power up with those pins floating.  

Thanks 

Al
0 Kudos