Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20729 Discussions

Mature Cyclone 2 Migration Questions

ATTIgeek
Beginner

We have a legacy design that originally used a Cyclone 2 FPGA:

EP2C15AF484C6N

that we can't get quoted from authorized distributors likely due to the geriatric age of these devices.  I found that:

EP2C20F484C6N

will be available at an authorized distributor next month.

I know this part has the same footprint (FineLine BGA, 484 pin count) and same speed grade.  It has more LEs (logic elements):  14,428 on the EP2C15A vs. 18,752 on the EP2C20.  We DO NOT need the Fast-On capability.

If the FPGA is changed from the 15A to the 20 device, can the old   .pof   file be used without doing any re-compilation, especially since the Quartus version in question is no longer supported?

Can we simply drop in the EP2C20 device in for the EP2C15A and a high level confidence it will work, without having to change anything?

-Thanks-

0 Kudos
2 Replies
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor I

The existing .pof for the '15 device will absolutely not work for the '20 device. You will need a recompile.

There is still a version of Quartus available that supports the EP2C20F484C7 device, QuartusII 13.0sp1.

I know it works because I use it all the time on that device on my development board. I use the Windows 10 Pro environment.

Get it here:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/collections/products/fpga/software/downloads.html?s=Newest&f:guidetmD240C377263B4C70A4EA0E452D0182CA=%5BQuartus%C2%AE%20II%20Software%5D

The free web version works just fine for the CycloneII family.

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hello,

As the solution that user named 'AK6DN' have provided. The solution can be accepted.

For now I will set this case to Close-Pending. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos