Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Max 7000 Devices - EPM7032 Help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recently purchased the .POF file for an Altera EPM7032LC44-15T. Its an old circuit design that I planned on making new copies of so I purchased the circuit diagram and the chip file from the original owner that no longer supports the device.  

I am having trouble programming blanks though. I'm using a ChipMax2 with the correct adapter PA44-48U, but when I program the chip I get errors in the programming process. I purchased some newer EPM7032S and AE devices and they program successfully but they do not work in the circuit. So my question is- Do I need to do something to the original .pof file to make it work with the newer S or AE devices?  

I have tried to contact the ChipMax people about the error but no response from them. I would like to migrate this code to the newer device if possible though. any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Also if it helps I have the newest quartus software and a usb blaster cable but it doesn't seem to support the older EPM7032 . 

Error I get when trying to program the older EOM7032LC44-15T 

Erase ok. 

Blank check ok. 

Program ok. 

CyUSB_BulkTransfer() failed. 

CyUSB_BulkTransfer() failed. 

Verification error. 

Fail address:44(2Ch) 

--------------------------------> 6.53 Sec.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus 13.0sp1 is the last version that supports the MAX7000 family (also Cyclone II). I would suggest downloading that version to support that device (for programming and even for compiling designs for the part). 

I keep a 13.0sp1 full install on my system for supporting older devices, and a 16.0 full install for newer devices.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi t, 

I would recommend to use an emulation mode for programming of EPM7032 in EPM7032S or EPM7032AE devices. This approach can be used for a device programmer from Advantech, BPM, EE Tools or Elnec. For example in case of Elnec programmers is the appropriate device called: Altera EPM7032S as 7032 [PLCC44]. I assume the similar emulation devices can be find for other device programmers as well. 

Best regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos