Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20781 Discussions

ModelSim-Altera Starter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using the QuartusII Web Edition 9.1 Sp2 (Vista). I've installed the ModelSim-Altera Edition seperatly but if I start it, there is a request for a license file. So far so good. As I have understood there is a Starter Edition ModelSim) inside the Qaurtus 9.1, but I can not find any way to start it. 

Inside the settings I can find "ModelSim" and "ModelSim-Altera" but not "ModelSim-Altera-Starter" or something like this. Outside of Quartus II there is not any file like Modelsim-Altera-Starter-Edition. Did not find anything inside the forum or on the Altera Web Site which could help. 

If I start the Simulator with an vector file i Have got the hint for the ModelSim Software, which I should use instead of the Quartus_Simulator. Anywhere I have read that the Quartus-Simulator is not longer available in Rev. 9.0 and later ??? 

Appiiciate your help.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The software should be in "\altera\91\modelsim_ase\win32aloem\modelsim.exe" 

the directory modelsim_ase stays for Altera Starter Edition 

In order to let quartus to find it go to Tools -> Options -> EDA Tools and provide the proper path for Modelsim-Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot, 

find out where to find the ModelSim-Altera-Starter Version on the Altera Website. (the link can not be posted, says the forum software, others should look for "ModelSim-Altera 6.5b Software") 

The software is not installed after doing the installation of QuartusII Web Edition ! In opposite of what one can read in different sources of Altera. 

And may be I was too akward but I was looking for it several hours all together. Good opportunity to find something else ;)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for some reason it wasn't easy to find in that release (i think that was the first release for -ASE) 

in the altera_installer for 10.0 you have the option to select ModelSim-AE or -ASE when you install the suite
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm currently using an (expired 04-2010) QII-9.1Sp2. I tried to run a Modelsim simulation (for the first time as I am/was an avid fan of the internal simulator) but I get the symptom tohei describes. If I start the ModelSim stand-alone I get the same message. 

Do I have to install the ASE version separately?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did install the ASE alongside the AE, edited the options in Quartus II where to find the ASE, and everything starts fine. Now just write a few testbenches ...

0 Kudos