Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

NIOS II top level in Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When compiling the source files generated by SoPC Builder in Quartus II, is it necessary to make a top-level entity? SoPC Builder generates a file called nios_system_name.v which I set as the top level entity in Quartus and the compilation works. Note, that I am not integrating the nios system with any other design. I'm just compiling the system and putting it on an FPGA. Do I still need to make this top-level entity? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I prefer using top level logic, but so long as you connect your SOPC Builder top-level to pins, you should be okay. 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didnt do any sort of connection with pins (if you're referring to bdf file). All I did was add all the verilog files from SoPC builder and pin assignment then compiled. Could you please elaborate on your method.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"pin assignment" would be what I was referring to...when I stated "connect to pins". FPGA's connection to the off-chip world would be another analogy. :-)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I didnt do any sort of connection with pins (if you're referring to bdf file). All I did was add all the verilog files from SoPC builder and pin assignment then compiled. Could you please elaborate on your method. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

when you look into your verilog file you will find inputs and outputs. I would expect at least a clock and a reset input. When you will run your design on a certain board you have to make proper pin assignments. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos