Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

Need Help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I worked with Altera board and I want to plot expermental results on the screen. 

I already connect LCM to the board. 

Is it possiple to plot these results or even write anything to this LCM. 

thank you.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You will need to provide a little more info so that I or others can understand what board and what display (LCM) you are refering to. What is an LCM? 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thank you for your concern. 

I have an Altera Cyclone® II 2C35 FPGA DE2 board and Terasic TRDB_LCM Digital Panel Package connected to that board. 

My question is : 

Is it possible to use this LCM screen as an output device and plot or write anything on it or it is just for showing video???!!! 

This Terasic TRDB_LCM is 3.6 inch screen can be connected to the Altera 

board as an output device. 

Waiting for your reply 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

The link below says Pattern generation is posible 

I guess You can go through this and figure out 

how to generate a patternof your own. 

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~hamblen/camlcd/doc/trdb_lcm_userguide_061130.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it the Altera Cyclone® II 2C35 FPGA DE2 board with Nios II? It came with a what they call LCD module, but I didn't check out what company it is from. 

If you have a Nios II system, you could try the example application "Count Binary", because it writes text to a LCD module. You can use it with File->New->Nios II C/C++ Application and then choose it from the list under "Select Project Template". 

BTW: Liquid Crystal Monitor (LCM) &#8212; a monitor using a liquid crystal display (LCD) <rough citation wiki> Therefor, seems there is no difference, right?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, the board came with a what they call LCD module but I want to use the other LCM to show the output on it. 

yes , I have MIOSII IDE. I want to use it to enable me to use this LCM instead of the regular LCD with the board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All you need to do is understand how the graphics structure of the display is accessed. 

Most people use an internal SRAM array to represent the locations on the display. 

Then they write a piece of code (vhdl) to update the LCM with whatever is located in the RAM array. 

I guess all this could be done in software was well. 

What you want ot do is very possible and I believe that there are already a few reference designs on how to do this.
0 Kudos