Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18950 Discussions

Nios DDR3 Test Example Project TimeQuest Negative Setup Slack

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello everyone, 

I've been trying to understand the workings of the timing analyser recently. I need to implement an SDRAM Controller with Uniphy in my design.  

So I opened up an example project called "SoCKit_DDR3_Nios_Test. I noticed it is very similar to mine, it has a nios processor, onchip mem, clock, and so on.  

After compiling and constraining the I received a setup violation error. I don't know what is wrong with my constraint. I doubt I need to use set_input_delay or set_output_delay, since the sdc file doesn't even have clock groupings, which I added later on to try to repair the setup slack. The clock groupings managed to correct the negative slack on the generated clock "u0|pll_qsys|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk" 

This is my sdc file.  

create_clock -period 20 create_clock -period 20 create_clock -period 20 create_clock -period 20 derive_pll_clocks derive_clock_uncertainty set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {OSC_50_B3B OSC_50_B4A OSC_50_B5B OSC_50_B8A } -group { u0|pll_qsys|altera_pll_i|general.gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph u0|pll_qsys|altera_pll_i|general.gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk } -group { u0|mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga|DDR3_Qsys_mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga_p0_sampling_clock } -group { u0|mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga|pll0|pll_addr_cmd_clk u0|mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga|pll0|pll_avl_clk u0|mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga|pll0|pll_dq_write_clk u0|mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga|pll0|pll_write_clk } -group { u0|mem_if_ddr3_emif_fpga|pll0|pll_afi_clk } -group { DDR3_CK_n DDR3_CK_p DDR3_DQS_n_OUT DDR3_DQS_n_OUT DDR3_DQS_n_OUT DDR3_DQS_n_OUT DDR3_DQS_p_IN DDR3_DQS_p_OUT DDR3_DQS_p_IN DDR3_DQS_p_OUT DDR3_DQS_p_IN DDR3_DQS_p_OUT DDR3_DQS_p_IN DDR3_DQS_p_OUT }  

I can't really wrap my head around the behind-the-scene workings of Altera. Can someone please explain me? 

I look forward to any replies :) 

BTW I'm using Quartus 14.1
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I can't read your screenshot to see what paths are failing, but the IP should have generated a .sdc file for you.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Oh I'm sorry about the screenshot 

Please try this link  

https://imgur.com/a/yr9ldwm (https://imgur.com/a/yr9ldwm

The sdc file from the previous post was the generated sdc file. I just added the clock groups to see if that solves the failure. 

I added the source project folder to my attachments. This is in its original form. 

I would appreciate any help.