Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

Open drain usage with internal pullups

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible to use the programmable internal pullup for open drain operation, without adding an external pullup? 

I guess it should work without problems, besides performance. If so, what would be the estimated maximum frequency on Cyclone II devices? I can't find the resistor value on the datasheet. IO standard will be LVTLL.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I know, the weak pull-up value is identical to value of i/o pin pull-up resistor before and during configuration documented in table 5-3 of DC characteristics, that is 10 to 50 k for LVTTL. I use it e. g. for static inputs as configuration switches, but slow dynamic operation would be also possible. Susceptibility to capacitive coupled interferences should be considered, howevewer.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, 

I didn't know it was the same pullup used before user mode.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For any strange reason, the datasheets strictly avoid to tell this simple and obvious fact. However, there's a knowledge base entry, that confirms it for Cylone. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The value of the programmable pull-up resistor for Cyclone® series devices in user mode can be found by referring to the Rconf specification in the "DC and Switching Characteristics" chapter of the respective device handbook. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos