Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

Output pin load assignment

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I want to ask about the "output pin load" assignment. Should I set this value as the total capacitance of the whole transmission line and receiver device? Some say that it should be derived from only a part of the transmission line where the signal can reach in transition time. Which do you think is correct? The value is used for several purpose in the Quartus II. May which to use depend on the purpose? 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a doc on Altera's site how to understand / interprete tco - values. An366 I think it was. There is much said about capacitance assignment. For me I am doing worst case design with that in variating these values with extreme settings.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello fpgaengineerfrankfurt, 

Thank you very much. I will look through it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just glanced at the AN 366 suggestion, but it looks like a good reference. 

This part of the help page for "Output Pin Load logic option" is relevant to your question. Any board trace capacitance that affects the rise/fall time of the signal as seen at the receiver needs to be included. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The value entered for the output pin load should be the loading value for the board trace capacitance and target load capacitance. The Altera device pin/package capacitance is already factored in the output pin load value. 

. . . 

The following equation is used to determine the changes in the output delay and depends on the Output Pin Load option: 

output_delay = default_output_delay + ((output_load - default_output_load) * derating factor) 

--- Quote End ---  

See the help page for the derating factors. I got to the help page by pressing "F1" while I had an Output Pin Load assignment selected in the Assignment Editor. 

The Assignment Editor Information pane has this: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Specifies the capacitive load, in picofarads (pF), on output pins for each I/O standard. Note: These settings affect FPGA pins only. To specify board trace, termination, and capacitive load parameters for use with Advanced I/O Timing, use the Board Trace Model tab. Capacitive loading is ignored if applied to anything other than an output or bidirectional pin, or if Advanced I/O Timing is enabled. 

--- Quote End ---  

AN 366 is dated July 2006, and Advanced I/O Timing is fairly new. The Quartus handbook has information about Advanced I/O Timing.
0 Kudos