Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20790 Discussions

PCIe Simple DMA Example vs. DDR Reference design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to get my head wrapped around the PCIe development kit and was looking for recommendations on whether I should start with the Simple DMA example generated by the MegaCore tool or the DDR example that comes with the Stratix GX dev kit?  

The DDR example looks more complicated but more complete. The Simple DMA seems to be easier to disect but is confusing in that the testbench seems to just be emulating a full endpoint to root complex cycle and might not be what I'm looking for; i.e. it isn't full design I can just use as a full PCIe device on the Stratix GX PCIe Dev board.  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just thought that I might add that I just noticed today that there is a new (?) set of project files for the chained DMA example that should burn onto the both the Stratix 2 GX and Arria GX boards. So it looks like I'll probably just be using that to begin with. It turns up as one of the first links when you look for PCIE in the altera search box.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a link between DMA and DDR ? I don't think so.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually there are quite a few links since there are 3 PCIe designs that I've found given by Altera--one simple dma, one chained dma (both of which use on-fpga ram) and then there is the DDR reference design for PCIe dma. The latter comes preloaded on the PCIe Stratix II GX Board, so yes, I would say there is quite a large link between PCIe and DDR.

0 Kudos