Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20677 Discussions

Programming 10M08SAE144C8G & 10M08SAE144I7G with the same pof

A-Ismail
Beginner

Hello

We have been using 10M08SAE144C8G for our product. Due to part shortage we can only source 10M08SAE144I7G .

Can we use the same programming file (*.pof)  from 10M08SAE144C8G  with the new part 10M08SAE144I7G .

Thank you

A-Ismail

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes it can be. Programming file are independent from temperature grade.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd02072008_497.html

Regards,

Bruce

0 Kudos
A-Ismail
Beginner

Hi Bruce

Thank you for prompt reply. Pls confirm that the programming file with the design timing ( (STA)  closed with C8 target device can be safely used on i7 device , means the design will work on i7 device as exactly as it is on C8 device.

Thanks

A-Ismail

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

yes. it can be.

0 Kudos
A-Ismail
Beginner

Hi Bruce

It seems you answer is contradicting to the  answer given in the link above

>>

To ensure that the timing model is correct, you should choose the device in Quartus® II software that matches the temperature rating marked on the device.

>>

Based on our experience, on the same design, when we choose a different speed/temperature grader. The Quartus will generate a different binary programming files.

What is the correct path for us when we change the device from C8 to i7

a) use the same binary programming file from C8 on i7 device

b) recompile the design with new i7 target device and generate new binary programming file

Thanks

A Ismail

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Well, speed grade and temperature grade are independent with programming file. Meaning, you can use design file generated from C8 to I7.

You may also regenerate the programming file with the correct OPN if you are comfortable with this approach. Is all depends on your choice.

0 Kudos
A-Ismail
Beginner

Hi Yuan Li

I am sorry that  I have to disagree with you.

If I take your answer is correct then I can  rephrase it to be: user can choose I7 (faster speed grade) device during Quartus compilation and then program it to C8  (slower ) device and the performance is guaranteed.

At least  , can you explain to me from Static Timing Analysis perspective , how does a design that is closed at particular model speed grade will work with device at different model characteristic. Both Hold time and set-up time analysis.

I hope you can review your answer with your management because you are opening up a new front where intel is  guaranteeing  i7 silicon performance with all C8 silicon.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

If you are referring to the link I shared, they are compatible. To ensure that the timing model is correct, you should choose the device in Quartus® II software that matches the temperature rating marked on the device.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd02072008_497.html

0 Kudos